• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant Program Preparation - Probability

I will be starting a quant program this fall and I was wondering what is the best way to build a strong foundation in probability. I have studied basic probability including topics like Bayes Theorem and Normal Distribution but other than that, I have no background in Probability.

I am looking at courses on Coursera, free resources on YouTube, or in the form of books.

The Ross textbook, First Course in Probability, is a great resource imo. Depending on what program you're joining, that may or may not be enough

I will be starting a quant program this fall and I was wondering what is the best way to build a strong foundation in probability. I have studied basic probability including topics like Bayes Theorem and Normal Distribution but other than that, I have no background in Probability.

I am looking at courses on Coursera, free resources on YouTube, or in the form of books.
A First Course in Probability by Sheldon Ross. It goes over everything you need to know including continuous and discrete distributions, how to derive their means and variances with calculus and/or algebra, how to compute probabilities with combinatorics, Moment Generating Functions, Central Limit Theorem, etc. Sheldon Ross is an excellent textbook author and the course lays a wonderful foundation for Stochastic Calculus and advanced probabilistic modeling. Taking a class that uses a textbook like this would satisfy the probability requirement for any quant masters program.

Back