Quant Strategist

Do you need a PhD to be a Quant Strategist? If not, can you do it just out of school or need some experience as a Quant trader or developer first?

I don't think you need a PhD, although turns out many people I have met as Quant Strategists at the IB's have a PhD in Finance.

From my understanding of a QS at an IB, it's mostly prototyping and building of strategies from the group up. The programming skills have to be very strong possibly now as banks dont like having a separate programmer to implement your strategies.

But I could be wrong. It would be very hard to get straight into a QS position out of school with a Masters, unless you're very good, which you might be!

So Joy, mainly, you go into a trading/development first, then into Strategist position in 2-3 years?
Thanks.

So Joy, mainly, you go into a trading/development first, then into Strategist position in 2-3 years?
Thanks.

No...You can start off straight as a Strategist, but it is hard. Define what you think is a strategist too? The "strats" team have strategists too, who build market impact related models, algo execution, etc. I dont think all QS are developing trading strategies.

This is my limited knowledge though. I don't know what the progress of roles are to enter a QS position at an IB. Like I said, the QS I have met, went straight from PhD Finance to QS at investment banks.

sorry for getting in the middle of the discussion,
but I'm looking at UCB's placement for 2010, and 25% of the grads were placed in jobs that are categorized as "strategy".
Are they not strategies ?

Back
Top Bottom