• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quantamental roles

I have been doing a lot of research on career paths post an MFE degree. My dream job would be one where I do research using both quantitative and fundamental principles.

I basically want to leverage my CFA knowledge and quantitative knowledge (that I will gain while pursuing MFE) to land roles in buy side. I don't plan on becoming a developer or an algo trader but instead want to secure an entry level position in the front end investment teams of any of the asset management firms.

My initial thought process was that having both quantitative and fundamental knowledge will help make me a well rounded investment professional.

I currently have an admit to Columbia MFE and am seriously considering whether to join the program or not. (Columbia also has an asset management concentration which makes it very attractive)

Open to any suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

(Just to give some background I have 2+ years of work experience as an IB analyst)

wish more people could opine but what keeps you from doing this now without a MFE?

I currently don’t have any degree in Finance and also have another level of CFA to complete. Basically all I have now is a BTech degree in Mechanical Engineering..

And plus I would love to move to NY gain some experience and come back to my home country as a seasoned professional

In a nutshell, your end goal is to get into a program, get some street creds from working on the Street for a few years and come back home. It's not a bad plan at all.
To do that, the brand name of the program will be less important than the names of the employers you will be working for after that program. The ideal program should have very well established employment stats and a pipeline/alum network to the firms and roles you covet.
At this point, you only have one admit so there isn't a choice to be made among programs. It appears you are oversea now so MFE program is the only option for you to get a job in the US.

Back