• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quantnet C++

Hey Guys,

So I never used C++, however, I have used Python, R, SAS, not an expert tho, I'd say between a beginner and mediocre. My question, if I take C++ Programming for Financial Engineering, and Advanced C++11/C++14 and Multidisciplinary Applications, put in the time and the effort, would that enhance my coding skills dramatically? Would I get a discount for the second course? It says that I have to finish the program within 16 weeks of my starting day, when is the official starting day, or that does not really matter, meaning I could start anytime but finish within 16 weeks?

My question, if I take C++ Programming for Financial Engineering, and Advanced C++11/C++14 and Multidisciplinary Applications, put in the time and the effort, would that enhance my coding skills dramatically
Absolutely; the first course teaches C++ from the ground up, and puts a lot of effort into instilling good/marketable coding habits. The advanced course takes those skills to the cutting edge.
Would I get a discount for the second course?
There is currently a $300 discount on the advanced course for alums of the first.
It says that I have to finish the program within 16 weeks of my starting day, when is the official starting day, or that does not really matter, meaning I could start anytime but finish within 16 weeks?
16 weeks from the day you enroll

I have witnessed countless students who successfully completed the first course and some the advanced course. Many have said that this is the best C++ course they ever taken (online or in class). They all achieve a level of maturity in term of how to approach programming methodically. This will serve they well whether they use C++ or anything else later on. Here is a good example. I suspect there are many similar successful stories.

Have other programs besides Baruch said they accept these two courses to satisfy the pre reqs they have for the programming component? My idea was to take an OOP Java class at my university and then take these two courses during this upcoming summer/fall.

Have other programs besides Baruch said they accept these two courses to satisfy the pre reqs they have for the programming component? My idea was to take an OOP Java class at my university and then take these two courses during this upcoming summer/fall.
We started the online cert in 2011 and have thousands students use the cert to satisfy programming requirement at many programs. When they went to those programs, they did really well in programming courses so the results are there.
I haven't heard of any instance where a program does not accept this.
I would say that our course is much more comprehensive than any college level introductory programming course. Ours is customized for students applying for MFE programs so it's pretty well-known among programs.
Programs used to be OK with java course many years ago but now at the very minimum you have to take one C++ course. And take the advanced course if you don't just want to satisfy the requirement but be competitive in the job market.

Back