• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quants in Canada

I was wondering if there are any quants working in Canada. I was talking to a friend who's a Financial Analyst at a hedge fund and he mentioned that there are no quant shops in Canada. If you're a quant in Canada, what kind of firm are you working for and what kind of work do you do?

Depends on what you mean by "quant" I suppose. There are buy-side shops that engage in various levels of quant/systematic investing, for sure, but I think the hedge fund industry in Canada is much less developed than in some other places. I know the very large pension funds have significant investment operations in-house and hire large amounts of people from technical backgrounds for risk & portfolio management, but whether they are quant or not is a matter of perspective.

Can anybody who has worked at Canadian Pension Funds, Asset Management, and/or Banks as a portfolio risk/market risk analyst share their experience?

Outdated but I work for Connor Clark and Lunn as a quant and we manage over $30B AUM in quantitative strategies. There are certainly bigger shops but it's not too small.

Back