• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Question about pursuing MFE.

I''m a 3rd year computer engineering student from Mumbai who had a few courses in Math during engineering. I am really interested in coding and finance and I noticed that all MFE courses apply C++ for building applications for Finance. So what I want to ask is that to get work as a quantitative analyst, do I need to have an MBA in Finance to understand finance before I get into Quant Finance or I can directly pursue a degree in that after engineering? What should my career path be like? Should I try applying for internships in Finance? Will my active participation organizations like AIESEC be of any help? Inputs needed from experts here!

I'm not an expert, but here's my 2 cents.

You certainly do not need an MBA for quantitative finance. Technical math and programming skills are more important than finance knowledge. Not saying you should neglect finance, but it is easier to pick up than the other skills. That said, experience in a finance internship doesn't hurt.

I can't tell you what your career path should be (I'm still trying to figure it out myself). But one thing you'll have to decide is whether you want to pursue MFE straight out of undergrad or get some full-time work experience first.

Welcome to Quantnet, Rupak
Brad Warren is right on the mark with his post. If you haven't been around this site or other similar quant forums for awhile, I would encourage you to read as much as you can about this line of career. When you have a better idea of the lingo and what you want to do, other members would be to help more. "Should I do MFE" is the type of question that most people would find redundant and hence, not motivated to answer. Don't be tempted to ask a question quickly without searching for similar topics first.

Start here http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threa...uants-mfe-financial-engineering-students.535/
Then read the interviews we have with well known practitioners http://www.quantnet.com/interview/

I''m a 3rd year computer engineering student from Mumbai who had a few courses in Math during engineering. I am really interested in coding and finance and I noticed that all MFE courses apply C++ for building applications for Finance. So what I want to ask is that to get work as a quantitative analyst, do I need to have an MBA in Finance to understand finance before I get into Quant Finance or I can directly pursue a degree in that after engineering? What should my career path be like? Should I try applying for internships in Finance? Will my active participation organizations like AIESEC be of any help? Inputs needed from experts here!
try to get an internship in in Mumbai. there are lot of investment banks credit suisse, barclays, nomura, ms ... doing quant dev work in mumbai and pune.

Ohh I will try for sure but most of them are really selective. Lets see what I can do! Thank you!

Welcome to Quantnet, Rupak
Brad Warren is right on the mark with his post. If you haven't been around this site or other similar quant forums for awhile, I would encourage you to read as much as you can about this line of career. When you have a better idea of the lingo and what you want to do, other members would be to help more. "Should I do MFE" is the type of question that most people would find redundant and hence, not motivated to answer. Don't be tempted to ask a question quickly without searching for similar topics first.

Start here http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threa...uants-mfe-financial-engineering-students.535/
Then read the interviews we have with well known practitioners http://www.quantnet.com/interview/

Hi, I am a undergraduate student from china longing for MFE programs in the US. But i'm not sure which one may be my Mr.right.My background is : GPA: 90/100 GRE 580 800 4.0 IELTS: 7
recommendation letter: a professor in Courant, NYU. and internship: working as secretary assistant irrelevant to MFE in several companies not that famous
and a volunteer of the World EXpo. So i am wonderning for which program in which school i should apply? thanks

As all the experts here mentioned, try to get into an internship in the Quantitative Finance area, this will strengthen your application. Your GPA looks good!

As all the experts here mentioned, try to get into an internship in the Quantitative Finance area, this will strengthen your application. Your GPA looks good!
Wow, As you know it is always a hard task for an undergraduate student to get a chance to have an internship in quantitative area. And the application date is approcahing. But I will try. So may I ask a stupid question: what programs may I consider as the large chances based on my current situation?

Yes it is very different to get internships in this area! Programs as in? Find out about an area which you are interested in and apply for that. If you are very interested in QuantFin then go for MFE only. If you wanna know more about Finance, you can apply for a Masters in Finance or MBA Finance!

Back