• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Question about the math gre subject test

Hi all,

I am planning to apply for the Fall 2011 admissions, and Chicago is one of my target school. As you all know they require the math subject test along with the general one. Do anyone has any idea what percentile is good enough (minimum) on the math test so they wont outright reject? I tried to look up on their page but their is no information about the files of the students at all.

I took the test last Saturday, and I am pretty confident i will be in the 50%~65% range (according to the rough scale provided by ETS). I am taking it in november again, and honestly i wasn't really well prepared last time. There were a few topics i should've known but did'nt study well and forogt some of the theorems. So I think if I tried really hard I would be able to improve by probably 10 to 15% in percentile. The problem is, if Chicago is looking for at least 80%+ or even 85%+ then i have quite a slim chance in getting the score, as there were also some challenging questions I don't think I will be able to solve given the limited time frame.

So my thought is, if they are really looking for a high score, I may as well focus on other parts of my application and try to increase my chances with other schools.

Any inputs will be welcomed!

Robinson

Try to use Tracker here on the web-site.
I saw one guy there who was admitted with 76%.

Actually I have the same problem as you.
I took the test on 9th Oct and expect 70%+ but offcourse I'm not sure.

I see. Thanks for the feedback. So it seems the 70% range is ok. I hope they don't mind a even lower score if the entire profile is strong.
In any case I think I will study hard and give it another shot.

I have been out of school for 4 years and am taking the Math Subject GRE this Saturday. Since I have been out of school for that long, I am technically exempt from reporting my score. What would you say is the break-even where below that score, I should just prefer my status of the exam to be "exempt"?

I know someone who got in with 55 percentile. I'd guess that they look at the overall profile of the applicant, and there is some subjectivity to the filtering.

Just got GRE results

Personally don't think I would report it if it was below 75

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am exempt from GRE requirements since I graduated in 2006. I scored 51st percentile (which was on the lower end of what I considered my reasonable range). I am thinking of playing the angle in my personal statement that I was exempt but took the test anyway so it could help me hit the ground running in the program and I did DECENT for someone who hasn't cracked a textbook in 4 years.

Would you consider it wiser to play that angle or simply not submit my score or mention it at all?

Thanks!

I applied without the GRE subject test (It was not available in my homeland) so you should not bother too much. Taking the GRE subject is proof of your high motivation ---> You should definitely report it

I applied without the GRE subject test (It was not available in my homeland) so you should not bother too much. Taking the GRE subject is proof of your high motivation ---> You should definitely report it

Hey Paul, are you gonna settle for Chicago or Columbia or still waiting for better options?

A percentile is the percent of people you are better than. As in, a 99th percentile means you are better than 99% of people. 80th percentile means you are better than 80% of the people that took the test, etc.

Thanks for pointing it out! I did mean to say percentile when i use the % symbol. Anyway I scored just below the 60th percentile in the end... I guess it's an ok score. In any case it's out of my control now.

Back