• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Question Regarding Education For Quant/Quant Trader/Quant Research

Currently a senior at a t-5 studying stats. After 4 years, I'm a bit burnt out education-wise. I'm interested in pursuing the quant field, specifically research. Would I need a higher degree for quant research, or could I possibly gain a position without one? I did a bit of research on top firms specifically two sigma and jane street. Both stated that "all levels are welcome." Is there a preference for graduate degrees?

Graduate degree's are preferred, but it is technically possible to get one without. Much harder though. MFE would help I'll be honest. If you are that burnt out you can think about doing a gap year. Or, more likely, take the best job offer you can get, work a year or two, and then go for the MFE or other grad program when refreshed. You'll have a better idea of what you want out of it after some experience anyway.

Graduate degree's are preferred, but it is technically possible to get one without. Much harder though. MFE would help I'll be honest. If you are that burnt out you can think about doing a gap year. Or, more likely, take the best job offer you can get, work a year or two, and then go for the MFE or other grad program when refreshed. You'll have a better idea of what you want out of it after some experience anyway.
Would the MFE help with quant research? I think a gap year might be a good idea.

Back