Real Analysis (and a little beyond) or Numerical Methods/Coding Focus

Deeper analysis or deeper coding?

• Total voters
Which is a better focus for moving into a top Fin.Eng program, mathematical analysis knowledge or deeper coding knowledge?

This was the first post. 98% has been saved to a file in my computer to be turned into a good post for the future. Carry on.

Last edited:
I must admit: I am usually more than keen and motivated to read posts, but posting several multiline paragraphs, with no clear understanding of what you seek to achieve from your post, is a clear turn-off. This is the equivalent of posting entire paragraphs on StackOverflow and expecting people to carefully read over and help you out. Not happening...

If you can boil it down to a few sentences, with a clear structure, I think that would encourage people to read further and give you useful insights. The same goes for many things: statements of purpose, essays, investment theses... Hook, body, ask, conclusion. Basics of writing.

Hope this helps you understand the situation w.r.t your comment below.

All the best,
M.A
33 views and one vote (other than mine) is not making good use of traffic. Come on guys, be efficient with this.

Let me restate this here so everyone sees it. I don't expect anyone to reply to that mess, I fully acknowledge its terrible quality and the stupidity of uploading it. I was procrastinating for a test and just kept typing. I will turn it into a readable post in a couple days and that is what I hope people will respond to.

This turned into a brain dump late at night, just happened to be on a forum. Please ignore it. However, the poll is self-explanatory and doesn't take more than one minute to comprehend, I do hope people will vote on that.

I said this at the end of the second terrible monster, but no one will find that.
I must admit: I am usually more than keen and motivated to read posts, but posting several multiline paragraphs, with no clear understanding of what you seek to achieve from your post, is a clear turn-off. This is the equivalent of posting entire paragraphs on StackOverflow and expecting people to carefully read over and help you out. Not happening...

If you can boil it down to a few sentences, with a clear structure, I think that would encourage people to read further and give you useful insights. The same goes for many things: statements of purpose, essays, investment theses... Hook, body, ask, conclusion. Basics of writing.

All the best,
M.A

All the best,
M.A
I posted the mess without any structure, and that is my fault. I did it late at night without any thought, also my fault. I decided leaving it up was not worth the small chance of a thoughtful comment (which I didn't deserve), and have taken it down (sending it to myself as a text) to be edited and redone in a clear manner. Thanks for the advice, it was well received. Obvious stuff, but not enough for me to bother with it the first time through so I clearly needed it.

Ideally
real analysis <-> numerical analysis <-> numerical methods <-> C++

A 5/10/20 year plan.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.

Ideally
real analysis <-> numerical analysis <-> numerical methods <-> C++

A 5/10/20 year plan.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.
If self study for intro the analysis this summer goes well (and St. Andrews lets me into the courses I want this fall) then I will actually be doing just that. Although, I'm not sure if they teach in C++. I'm studying abroad, and it is unclear what they will let me take once I get there. I'm about to start texting a graduated student my brother knew (my brother is full-time at St.A) to get a feel for the school and what my options are.

If they deem me qualified and I get into all the courses (I'm not sure how big a reach this is) I would like to take
MT 3504: Differential Equations
MT 3502: Real Analysis
MT 4511: Asymptotic Methods (technically past diffEQ but you can take them concurrently with permission)
MT 4539: Quantitative Risk Management or MT 3802: Numerical Analysis.

Also, their system is much more demanding than my home college (Baylor University). My brother is English and Theology, and he only has two very difficult courses. I'm not sure if it works the same in the department of Mathematics and Statistics; if it does, then I couldn't get through four courses. The MT courses seem to be all 15 SCOCAT hours, so I think it does not, as I was slated to take 60 SCOCAT hours through the prescribed course sign up from my college. You're from that area, I think, Dublin maybe? I feel like something was said during the intro video to the C++ course. Do you know anything about this program worth sharing?

Back