Real Analysis Credit Options

Hi all,

I've been lurking around the forums for quite some time now, and I figured I should finally make an account! I have a question that I am hoping the community can help me answer.

For a myriad of logistical reasons, I had to drop real analysis this year. I am a senior, so I won't be able to take it during undergraduate. Although I am completely confident that I can adequately self-study the material (at the Baby Rudin level) given enough time, I am worried about not having the course on my transcript when I apply to graduate school. I currently plan to complete either a masters in financial engineering, masters in statistics, or PhD in statistics after working for several years (I've secured a full-time offer in prop trading. My goal is to become a successful quant trader, and I am inherently drawn to statistical arbitrage.). I realize real analysis is not critical for the masters degrees; however, I do find value in being able to understand the theory behind statistical models. My goal is to one day be able to tweak and generalize statistical models to be more applicable for my trading strategies, and I believe a sound theoretical math foundation is essential for this.

This brings me to my question. Is it possible/common to take introductory real analysis for credit after graduation or during a masters/PhD program? I see Harvard Extension School offers online credit for a 2-quarter course (Math 23a/b--it mixes linear algebra and real analysis together), but it uses Ross as the text. I would prefer to use a more advanced text such as Baby Rudin. Their extension school also offers an option at the Baby Rudin level, but it only appears to be available on campus which is not a realistic option for me.

Does anyone know of any other options? Is it absolutely critical that I have real analysis on my transcript, or will self-study be sufficient?

Thanks!

[is it critical that I have real analysis on my transcript]

no it's not. you're worrying too much. typical.

Back