• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How Important Are Real Analysis, Complex Variables, and DEs in Quant Finance?

Hi, an undergrad student here, are there any math classes that are a complete must for an MFE? I plan on taking probability, linear algebra, and numerical analysis, but after these classes, I don't really know what exactly I should take. I really want to take a sequence of real analysis but I don't know how helpful this will be compared to differential equations. Additionally, would any of these really set me apart from other applicants?

I'd say real/complex and lin alg for the mathematical maturity, and then probability and diff eqns to be able to solve real problems. You can imagine this will include a heavy dose of computing/numerical implementation of the theory from probability, lin alg, and diff eqns. So definitely take a numerical analysis course or 5, along with how to program/implement the techniques and models :)

If you can do this I'd say that would certainly set you apart. You'll need some time though with an internship or project with a professor to find what you like. That's also important so you enjoy what you do.

Back