• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Real time options data

DanM

Math Student
I created an RTD Server in C# so that I can get real time data in Excel from yahoo finance. I know how to deal with stock data (just type in the ticker symbol for the stock - i.e. 'MSFT') however, it doesn't work when I do the same for options - MSFT110521C00017500 , for example.

Anyone know why? Is there a solution?

didn't yahoo drop support for options chains through csv? You might want to try MSFT.X and see what that returns.

didn't yahoo drop support for options chains through csv? You might want to try MSFT.X and see what that returns.
I doubt you will get real time option data for free. Which option series you will get for MSFT.X? If they give you all the greeks etc. for all strikes and all months and all years listed, it will be few megabytes of data.

I doubt you will get real time option data for free. Which option series you will get for MSFT.X? If they give you all the greeks etc. for all strikes and all months and all years listed, it will be few megabytes of data.
Yahoo never offered historical data or greeks, but they used to offer an options chain as the prices stood for a specific horizon.

Dan, if you can't find a service for this and you really need it, let me know and maybe I'll write one for you this weekend.

Hey, thanks for offering!

I only want the real time data to test a pricing model I made in Excel on a trading simulator. It's not for work or anything, so I don't really *need* it.

I'm using the RTD function for the stock quote, and for the options data I just imported the info from yahoo finance and made it so that it refreshes every few minutes (it's 200+ rows). Unfortunately, Excel hangs quite frequently when trying to do calculations using the imported data. Not sure why.

Is there a way to obtain options data using RTD? If so, maybe you can point me in the right direction, and I could write the code myself.

Have you done it by downloading HTML for the page each refresh interval for the underlying to update?

Back