• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Recommendation on QN courses

QN courses

• Python

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • C++

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
Guys, I am a senior who is applying to Graduate programs in Financial Engineering and Data Science. I have a solid coding experience in undergraduate school, I learned Java, SQL and R. I never took any class in Python or C++ and those two seems to be super important for my intended graduate programs, so I plan to take one online class this winter break.
I've seen a lot of recommendation on this forum about C++ course offered by QN, but the Python class seems to be a better choice for me given I am potentially studying data science.

Also, the C++ course according to the description took 16 weeks, and 12 weeks for the python class, If I am fully comitted to the program this winter, can I finish it in 6 weeks?

Can you offer me some insights on what those two classes will be like and which one do you recommend me to take?

I would say take both, C++ first and then Python to maximize your opportunities for career advancement.
C++ is a very solid foundation that you can use to build Python on.
Many students completed the course faster than the allocated time. Once you complete it, you will be amazed of how much your programming ability has grown.

I would say take both, C++ first and then Python to maximize your opportunities for career advancement.
C++ is a very solid foundation that you can use to build Python on.
Many students completed the course faster than the allocated time. Once you complete it, you will be amazed of how much your programming ability has grown.
thank you! I am sure they'll both be helpful. I don't think I have time for both, the winter break is only 6 weeks. Do you see which one should be prior to another?

thank you! I am sure they'll both be helpful. I don't think I have time for both, the winter break is only 6 weeks. Do you see which one should be prior to another?
You may find this post helpful in making that decision: FAQ: Python Online Course

Who is this course for?

This course is for anyone, with or without previous programming experience, who wants to learn Python. There are three categories of students who can benefit from this course:
  1. The aspiring quant or data scientist who needs to become proficient in Python for school or to do their job.
  2. The 'casual coder' (i.e. a trader on a desk, an accountant, or hobbyist) who want to learn how to quickly write useful Python scripts to help with their day to day work.
  3. The hardcore programmer who would like to learn Python.
The practical projects, detailed code reviews, and feedback from dedicated TAs provide immense value to those who have previous Python coding experience as well, by instilling best practices, code structure, and techniques grounded in industry standards.

Should I take the Quantnet C++ courses first?

If you fall into category 2 above, then you may enroll in this course without any prior C++ knowledge.

For non-casual Python coders, a solid grounding in a 'hard' programming language is extremely important before learning 'soft' languages such as Python. This is vital to instill proper understanding of lower-level programming concepts and habits. C++ is the ideal language for this. From our experience in the field, coders who do not have a solid grounding in a language such as C++ prior to learning Python have far inferior coding skills (tangible and intangible) compared to those who have a solid C++ (or similar) grounding.

Consequently, if you fall into category 1 or 3 above, then C++ Programming for Financial Engineering must be taken prior to this course, unless you have multiple years of professional experience coding in C++. Advanced C++11/C++14 and Multidisciplinary Applications is not required to be taken before this course.

Guys, I am a senior who is applying to Graduate programs in Financial Engineering and Data Science. I have a solid coding experience in undergraduate school, I learned Java, SQL and R. I never took any class in Python or C++ and those two seems to be super important for my intended graduate programs, so I plan to take one online class this winter break.
I've seen a lot of recommendation on this forum about C++ course offered by QN, but the Python class seems to be a better choice for me given I am potentially studying data science.

Also, the C++ course according to the description took 16 weeks, and 12 weeks for the python class, If I am fully comitted to the program this winter, can I finish it in 6 weeks?

Can you offer me some insights on what those two classes will be like and which one do you recommend me to take?

I'm in my senior year as well.

Personally, I think C++ is harder to pick up than Python.
I would recommend doing C++ first.

As for the time taken, I managed to complete up till Level 9 before I have had to slow down because of my project work and finals examinations (I have about 40+ days left).
I'm 9/10 weeks in but the time I put into it for the past 2 weeks has tapered off.
I'm on the slow side and took about 20h on average per week (tracked on toggl)
Anyway, if you fully commit to it, I think 6 weeks is doable.
The initial part is really hard IMO.
But once you get to the STL and Boost, it feels easier.

I'm in my senior year as well.

Personally, I think C++ is harder to pick up than Python.
I would recommend doing C++ first.

As for the time taken, I managed to complete up till Level 9 before I have had to slow down because of my project work and finals examinations (I have about 40+ days left).
I'm 9/10 weeks in but the time I put into it for the past 2 weeks has tapered off.
I'm on the slow side and took about 20h on average per week (tracked on toggl)
Anyway, if you fully commit to it, I think 6 weeks is doable.
The initial part is really hard IMO.
But once you get to the STL and Boost, it feels easier.
Thanks! I am heading to the end of semester as well, I figured it is really tough to keep both qn course and school work. Can you let me know a bit more of the level mechanism? How many levels are there and what does it mean?

Thanks! I am heading to the end of semester as well, I figured it is really tough to keep both qn course and school work. Can you let me know a bit more of the level mechanism? How many levels are there and what does it mean?

Download and read the attachment for specific details. :)

Frankly speaking, most MFEs want you to have C++ experience.
If you can't do it in school, then this is the best option, considering how it's in collaboration with Baruch.

Download and read the attachment for specific details. :)

Frankly speaking, most MFEs want you to have C++ experience.
If you can't do it in school, then this is the best option, considering how it's in collaboration with Baruch.
I totally get it. Thanks for your advice!

Back