• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR Regarding the curriculum of Columbia's CVN degree in MS Operations Research

Hi, guys, I have a question about the curriculum of Columbia's CVN degree in Master of Science in Operations Research: Methods in Finance. I hope anybody who has experience in CVN can share with me.

I really like their curriculum ( just by looking at the class names and their brief description),but doesn't anybody know if the curriculum is more theoretial or applied? For instance, for most of the course there, do we mostly do applied projects or do we just try to derive/prove theories?

To me writing a matlab program can be considered as applied projects. Also, what's the difficulty like of Columbia's CVN program? I am not a math genius, but I am willing to learn hard, but applied concepts.

Also, it will be very helpful if you can share whether you have a good expericne with CVN or not. Such as whether the professors are helpful, whether the communication online is effective, etc.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi, guys, I have a question about the curriculum of Columbia's CVN degree in Master of Science in Operations Research: Methods in Finance. I hope anybody who has experience in CVN can share with me.

I really like their curriculum ( just by looking at the class names and their brief description),but doesn't anybody know if the curriculum is more theoretial or applied? For instance, for most of the course there, do we mostly do applied projects or do we just try to derive/prove theories?

To me writing a matlab program can be considered as applied projects. Also, what's the difficulty like of Columbia's CVN program? I am not a math genius, but I am willing to learn hard, but applied concepts.

Also, it will be very helpful if you can share whether you have a good expericne with CVN or not. Such as whether the professors are helpful, whether the communication online is effective, etc.

Thank you so much for your help!

Columbia's MSOR classes are more theoretical than applied. You do several programming assignment in Monte Carlo Simulation classes. Other than that, you pretty much derive/solve theories in other classes. There are some electives that are applied in nature that you can pick. The classes with number 47xx are truly hard-core FE classes. The difficulty is the same as the on-campus class since you'll be doing the same homeworkds and take the same exams. Communication is very minimal. If you're stuck on some topic, you better learn how to solve it by yourself. You're basically learning the same stuff, but with less help, than those learning on campus. This is the downside of taking classes away from campus.

UclaColumbia, Thank you so much for your helpful comments!! I guess then probabaly Columbia's CVN is not a good choice for me since I really don't like just sit there and deriving theories. ( I am bad at deriving formulas as well).

So do you or anybody else know about the computational finance program offered by University of Washington? I look at their curriculum, and it looks pretty applied, rather than theoretical.

What other online programs have their curriculum that are more applied?

Thank you so much!!

Anybody has experience or opinion about the MS Computational Finance program at University of Washington ??
I really hope I can get some insight into this program, thank you!

Back