• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Relevent experiences to make up for disastrous GPA?

Would just state some facts first.
1. Academic: Top3 Uni in my country, (in APAC) double degree program(1st math, 2nd finance) cGPA is about 3.4/4.0, major GPA bit higher.

2. Work experience:
Internships:
-European Bank Risk Management Intern - CVA desk
-BB Markets division summer analyst: Fixed income/exotics trading & structuring desk
-Multimanager HF Quant Research Intern: (think of P72/MLP/BAM/Cit)

Full time(current job)
-BB Markets Trader(tbh the work I do is kind of mixture of dev/strats/trader) , it's not a traditional product specific-click trading desk like EQD, Rates, credit, but only systematic.(think of automated MM-ish type)

Main question
yeah I know my GPA sucks. But could the relevent experiences above, decent enough make up for having a low GPA to apply for some good Msc/MFE programs in USA? Or should I try to obtain some relatively easy admission part time/online STEM Msc degree first, get close to perfect GPA, and apply after?

Would like to have honest feedback on this.

From my experience, I can tell you absolutely yes.
My UGPA was hideous - 2.8./ 4.3, but I do have some good research publications and job experience. I got an offer from a top program.
Some program even gives you a chance to explain why your UGPA sucks :LOL: - definitely use this contrast (low UGPA vs good working experience) to your advantage.

GPA starts mattering a lot less once you have relevant work experience as the latter is a much better indicator of your future success on the job. However, I'm a bit confused why you even want to apply for some good MFE programs when even the top students at top MFE programs typically struggle to land a "Multimanager HF Quant Research Intern: (think of P72/MLP/BAM/Cit)" position.

My UGPA was hideous - 2.8./ 4.3, but I do have some good research publications and job experience. I got an offer from a top program.
Some program even gives you a chance to explain why your UGPA sucks :LOL: - definitely use this contrast (low UGPA vs good working experience) to your advantage.
Sounds a bit better. yeah I thought there may be some schools that might do that, while some strictly look at GPA.Maybe I should look for schools that value experiences heavily?
GPA starts mattering a lot less once you have relevant work experience as the latter is a much better indicator of your future success on the job. However, I'm a bit confused why you even want to apply for some good MFE programs when even the top students at top MFE programs typically struggle to land a "Multimanager HF Quant Research Intern: (think of P72/MLP/BAM/Cit)" position.
Valid point. I believe I had that internship offer only due to pure luck(acing math/probability/brain teasers/coding....preparing well for just for the sake of interview..etc u know what I mean). Felt that I wasn't prepared well compared to fellow interns and was lagging. That's why my current job is different. Thought at least MFE/STEM Msc programs would teach some rigorous concepts, and going through training would give much better preparation to be a successful either as quant researcher or hf trader.
Any my goal is to work as USA, while it's really hard to lateral to APAC -> NY office in BB. So I thought top Msc/MFE programs would be the only realistic way to do that.

Last edited:
If your goal is to land in one of the coveted roles at BB in NYC, top programs in our MFE rankings who have demonstratively shown good record of placing there is the way to go.
Transferring laterally to the US is a really tough nut to crack.
Some programs attract a mix of fresh graduates and part-timers who have relevant work experience so you may have better luck there instead of competing with fresh graduates with top GPA. You need to highlight your work experience to compensate for the GPA. There will be a spot for you out there.

May I know what profile you had when you got admittance into the T10 MSFE/MSQF programs ?

May I know what profile you had when you got admittance into the T10 MSFE/MSQF programs ?
I got an offer from UCB MFE for spring 2024.
After my undergraduate with a disastrous GPA, I pursue two MSc ( Mechanical engineering; Engineering management) and then did my Ph.D. in a low tier US university. After that, I briefly did a post-doc for 1.5 years at a top Medical School/Hospital and then spent the last five years at a public company doing corporate research. It has been a long journey. I guess my recent working experience /achievements convinced the committee that my disastrous UGPA never mattered much for my later career, but I think it would be a hard sell 5-8 years ago while I haven't made much progress yet.

While a low GPA can be a challenge, your relevant work experience in the financial industry can help compensate for it. Graduate programs consider multiple factors, including work experience, recommendations, and test scores. Your internships and full-time position demonstrate strong finance and quantitative skills. To improve for example some writing skills, you can try to use this source https://assignmentbro.com/us/ , it helped me a lot. While top-tier programs can be competitive, your work experience can offset a lower GPA. Consider taking standardized tests to further strengthen your application. Pursuing a part-time/online STEM degree to improve your GPA is an option, but ensure the program's reputation and relevance to your goals.

Last edited:
Could I PM you?

I am in a similar situation, just graduated with a disastrous GPA and desperately trying to figure out what would maximize my chances for a top program.

While a low GPA can be a challenge, your relevant work experience in the financial industry can help compensate for it. Graduate programs consider multiple factors, including work experience, recommendations, and test scores. Your internships and full-time position demonstrate strong finance and quantitative skills. While top-tier programs can be competitive, your work experience can offset a lower GPA. Consider taking standardized tests to further strengthen your application. Pursuing a part-time/online STEM degree to improve your GPA is an option, but ensure the program's reputation and relevance to your goals.
Could you please expand on part time STEM degree's? I'm taking classes to be able to meet prereqs and improve GPA but I didn't consider an entire degree. Could be a good option for me.

While a low GPA can be a challenge, your relevant work experience in the financial industry can help compensate for it. Graduate programs consider multiple factors, including work experience, recommendations, and test scores. Your internships and full-time position demonstrate strong finance and quantitative skills. While top-tier programs can be competitive, your work experience can offset a lower GPA. Consider taking standardized tests to further strengthen your application. Pursuing a part-time/online STEM degree to improve your GPA is an option, but ensure the program's reputation and relevance to your goals.
Could you please expand on part time STEM degree's? I'm taking classes to be able to meet prereqs and improve GPA but I didn't consider an entire degree. Could be a good option for me.
A part-time STEM degree can be a beneficial option to improve your GPA and enhance your academic qualifications. It offers flexibility for working professionals and helps you meet prerequisite requirements. By performing well in additional courses, you can raise your GPA and gain valuable analytical and quantitative skills. It also provides networking opportunities and should be chosen from reputable programs relevant to your goals. Consider this option alongside other pathways like professional certifications to strengthen your application.

A part-time STEM degree can be a beneficial option to improve your GPA and enhance your academic qualifications. It offers flexibility for working professionals and helps you meet prerequisite requirements. By performing well in additional courses, you can raise your GPA and gain valuable analytical and quantitative skills. It also provides networking opportunities and should be chosen from reputable programs relevant to your goals. Consider this option alongside other pathways like professional certifications to strengthen your application.
Great info, thank you so much for sharing.

Will definitely consider this.

Just to clarify, are you referring to a part-time Masters? Or programs such as Baruch's Pre-MFE program.

Back