• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to make up for bad marks in math courses

Hi Guys,

I am a post-graduate in Physics from IIT (India) with a minor in Maths. I am looking to get into a quant oriented finance program in a couple of years. I have realized that a major problem in my CV is that of bad marks in many maths courses that I have undertaken. Not that I am weak in maths or anything, just that I wasn't diligent enough.

I really want to eliminate this issue within the next year when I will start applying. What would the forum suggest? I can take Maths GRE (I have an 800 in GRE Quant). Can I take some online maths courses? But I haven't found any good one!

Thanks in advance for your help.

From what I've gathered around here, depending on how bad your grade is, really good internships might be able to save you. Otherwise it would be a good idea to go back to school to prove yourself first.

aaron: I am sorry I did not mention it clearly before, but I have been working for an year I intend to apply for next to the coming year. I am working in investment management now. What do you mean by going back to school - if you mean back to my graduate college that's not an option. I will go to college only for an MS Finance now.

Like when you said you were searching for some good online math courses, it is a good idea to take more math courses to prove your ability. If going back to school for a masters in applied mathematics first isn't an option I think the only way left is to prove yourself on the job by raking in some good quant finance related experience.

I'm not all too familiar with how the application process works but mind if I ask you why you want to get into quant finance? Maybe if your reason is compelling enough it can add extra points to your application. Of course this won't be enough to offset very bad grades but it would probably put you ahead of someone who is only in it for the money as those kind of people tend to burn out very early on.

aaron: Thanks man. I am working in quant fin now, and going back to school is not an option for me. I will go back to school to get an MS in Finance only, and nothing else. :) That is the reason I am looking at alternate avenues to strengthen my application in an area where it is weak. Something that I can do while in my current job. I would like to get the degree because it will help me in my current career.

I was sort of expecting more forum activity on this thread. I think this is a relevant issue for all those who are interested in quant oriented fin degrees.

I find traffic to this forum tends to get heavier in the middle of the week and dies down on the weekends.

Anyhow, good luck on your endeavors.

I was sort of expecting more forum activity on this thread. I think this is a relevant issue for all those who are interested in quant oriented fin degrees.
The main reason is that your question is probably covered many times in the past so either people can find the answers from the search or they don't want to give the same answer over and over.
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/how-to-deal-with-bad-marks-in-early-years.1796/
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/explain-low-gpa-in-essay.7311/

Back