Request for Info :: Masters Degree in Financial Mathematics online or part time UK

Dear All,
I have around 15+ years of experience in software development and settled in london. Due to my job commitments, I am unable to attend fulltime financial mathematics course. Is there any genuine online masters degree in financial mathematics or Quantitative mathematics. I came across york university but do not know whether it is a good bet or not ?

Is there any university which will offer weekend classes in UK or online distance education in either financial mathemtics or in quantitative finance.

I am also planning to take CQF from next january onwards.

I hold Computer Science and Engineering degree..

Cheers and thanking you in advance.

best regards,
/Siva
London, UK.

What kind of 'profile' (don't know if this is the correct wording) would you (like to) have after having completed such a course?

How is your knowledge

. (applied/numerical) mathematics
. C++, C#, Java?

Thank you guys for the reply. I am targetting Quantitative Development roles using C++/Java e t c, which has good pay rates in banking industry. So, i would like to devote my next 12 months time in improving my mathematics, Quant skills and enrol into authentic courses which will be useful to my career. First would like to complete Financial mathemtics.

Daniel :
==>>I am storng in C++, C#, java. Have developd complex software systems in networking, telecom, embedded systems, dataware housing, financial security ( front office/ back office ) . e t c. both under linux/unix and windos environments. May not be mathematical modelling techniques using C++, which i need to concentrate.

==>> applied mathematics I need to brush up in next few months.

IntoDarkness ::
I think CQF has some value in London financial market. At least it might give good exposure in quick 6 months. not sure yet, may be my perception will change by end of this year. Not sure.. !!

Currently, I am collecting information regarding quantitative mathematics and how to develop knowledge in this area.

cheers

I seem to say this to everyone with a lot of work experience but, how is your network and can you use it to find people who work in the types of jobs that you want to move into?

Thank you guys for the reply. I am targetting Quantitative Development roles using C++/Java e t c, which has good pay rates in banking industry. So, i would like to devote my next 12 months time in improving my mathematics, Quant skills and enrol into authentic courses which will be useful to my career. First would like to complete Financial mathemtics.

Daniel :
==>>I am storng in C++, C#, java. Have developd complex software systems in networking, telecom, embedded systems, dataware housing, financial security ( front office/ back office ) . e t c. both under linux/unix and windos environments. May not be mathematical modelling techniques using C++, which i need to concentrate.

==>> applied mathematics I need to brush up in next few months.

IntoDarkness ::
I think CQF has some value in London financial market. At least it might give good exposure in quick 6 months. not sure yet, may be my perception will change by end of this year. Not sure.. !!

Currently, I am collecting information regarding quantitative mathematics and how to develop knowledge in this area.

cheers

I don't even know why I bother answering anymore but... do you think spending a year of your life NOW, after 15 plus years working as a software developer, is gonna somehow strengthen your math enough to get a highly paid quant dev role? You realize there are people who've been studying math all their lives basically and you'll be competing against them? Unless you already have a significant math background and are just wanting to brush up on math related to quantitative finance, this is not going to turn out well for you.

I don't even know why I bother answering anymore but... do you think spending a year of your life NOW, after 15 plus years working as a software developer, is gonna somehow strengthen your math enough to get a highly paid quant dev role? You realize there are people who've been studying math all their lives basically and you'll be competing against them? Unless you already have a significant math background and are just wanting to brush up on math related to quantitative finance, this is not going to turn out well for you.
I agree with CS. When one says "brushing up one's maths" it underestimates the challenge in a big way.
Mathematics should be learned when you are young (e.g. 18). Learning what a PDE is when you are in your thirties is kind of late.

To be bluntly honest, I don't see how it is possible for you to compete with international PhDs in physics and maths.

Last edited:
C.S. / Daniel :: Thank you for your insight. I am not a beginner in mathematics, i have already dealth with calculus, algebra, higher engineering mathematics e t c, which is equivalent to masters degree in mathematics. So, in this area i have confidence. Regarding opportunities in quant field, "There is a Will there is a way "........ !!!!! lets see how it goes.

C.S. / Daniel :: Thank you for your insight. I am not a beginner in mathematics, i have already dealth with calculus, algebra, higher engineering mathematics e t c, which is equivalent to masters degree in mathematics. So, in this area i have confidence. Regarding opportunities in quant field, "There is a Will there is a way "........ !!!!! lets see how it goes.
In don't think 'calculus' belongs to MSc level maths. Anyway, good luck.

At least i will get good fun with mathematics dont you think.... -:). compete against them, also involves one more thing "supply and demand", if there is a requirement in software industry then always hiring managers also look into other profiles too, who has enthoo in the field.... !! if not, no issues I can always have FUN WITH MATHEMATICS... !!

I seem to say this to everyone with a lot of work experience but, how is your network and can you use it to find people who work in the types of jobs that you want to move into?
we can find it easily, if you have authentic courses in your cv and knowledge.. !!! otherwise, although we have network hiring managers will stop looking into your profile, if you dont have basic stuff in our CV especially regarding quantitative development.

Ok, this seems, to be good. i came across this, but would like to know whether anybody has subscribed to this course do you have any contacts ?
same advice i've given on this forum
do a google search on the graduates of the program,
not a londonian myself, so I have no contacts :)

Back