Requirements for MFE program

• Thread starter Thread starter Kip
  • Start date Start date

Kip

Hi there!

I'm a senior year student at Baruch College majoring in Quantitative Modeling & Stats, Math minor. I have two options. One option is graduation in Fall'14, and another option of spending one more semester taking 2 additional math classes: Linear Algebra, Stochastic Calc.

I heard that Linear Algebra and Stochastic Calc are extremely important for anyone who is planning to go with MFE.
What the suggestion would be in my case?

TIA

My advice is to take 2 more courses. They are extremely fundamental if you want to get a FE or FM. You should go to those MFE's websites and check their prerequisites. Nearly all programs require these two courses.

Probably best to take them. Stochastic Calc won't be a prereq but it looks good if you've had it. Linear Algebra on the other hand is prereq for every program and will really hurt your application if you haven't taken it.

Linear Algebra on the other hand is prereq for every program and will really hurt your application if you haven't taken it.

It's not so much the lack of it that will hurt his app, but the fact that he was able to major in a supposedly mathematical major without having to have taken it. That shows the weakness of his program.

regarding linear algebra, is op referring to the second-level or advanced level linear algebra? if not, you will not fare well in the admissions for any schools out there...

Back