• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Requirements to Get into MFE/MFin

Hello all. I stumbled upon this place and thought it'd be a good place to throw out this question. I'm considering applying for an MFE/MFin program some time out in the future. If I do, I would apply in the winter of 2012 so that I can enroll in the fall of 2012.

Just a bit of background, I currently have an bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Cooper Union and will have a Master's degree (also in EE) in about 2 weeks. I have also been working full time as a software developer at a major ibank for a little under a year (I had also interned here the previous summer). I've been doing my thesis work while working but now that it's winding down, I've had some more time to figure out where to steer my life. I'm not completely sure whether I will go down the quant path but at the very least, I'd like to take steps to ensure that the option remains open by the time next year rolls around. In particular, I'd start by taking the GRE's. I would be 25 by the time I enroll.

If I were to get accepted and enroll in a quant program, I would quit my current job. The schools must be in nyc, so I've been looking at NYU, Columbia, and Baruch, with NYU being the most attractive (good location, practitioners, and focus on job placement). But before even moving forward with this, I'd like to know my chances of actually getting into programs like these since I hear they are quite competitive. As expected, looking up the websites for these programs only gives vague hints as to what's required. Saying things like "strong quantitative skills" and listing off a bunch of low to mid level math courses does not give me a good idea as to the type of people they accept. I was hoping if somebody here could give me a better idea of whether or not somebody with my background would feasibly be accepted into a program like this. Thanks.

Hello all. I stumbled upon this place and thought it'd be a good place to throw out this question. I'm considering applying for an MFE/MFin program some time out in the future. If I do, I would apply in the winter of 2012 so that I can enroll in the fall of 2012.

Just a bit of background, I currently have an bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Cooper Union and will have a Master's degree (also in EE) in about 2 weeks. I have also been working full time as a software developer at a major ibank for a little under a year (I had also interned here the previous summer). I've been doing my thesis work while working but now that it's winding down, I've had some more time to figure out where to steer my life. I'm not completely sure whether I will go down the quant path but at the very least, I'd like to take steps to ensure that the option remains open by the time next year rolls around. In particular, I'd start by taking the GRE's. I would be 25 by the time I enroll.

If I were to get accepted and enroll in a quant program, I would quit my current job. The schools must be in nyc, so I've been looking at NYU, Columbia, and Baruch, with NYU being the most attractive (good location, practitioners, and focus on job placement). But before even moving forward with this, I'd like to know my chances of actually getting into programs like these since I hear they are quite competitive. As expected, looking up the websites for these programs only gives vague hints as to what's required. Saying things like "strong quantitative skills" and listing off a bunch of low to mid level math courses does not give me a good idea as to the type of people they accept. I was hoping if somebody here could give me a better idea of whether or not somebody with my background would feasibly be accepted into a program like this. Thanks.

Hi Kenny Lam,

I suggest you to go on the websites of the Universities you just quoted above and surf on their website. You can definetely learn more about each program and which one best fits you. You have already done the job^^

I know for sure that NYU & Baruch post the profiles of their current student. This is a good indicator of whether your track record is good enough to get in. Think about it this way round. You will have to be at least as competitive as this guys. Do not forget to take into account that MFE application are more and more competitive every year.

Third, I would recommend you to gather (All) your strenghs and take a deep breath before starting, since the application process to MFE master programs is not a piece of cake. The first selection process is whether you are able or not to comploete your application. You can ask everyone on this forum, I assume everyone had a hardtime with those applications and the anxious and ever-lasting wait.

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. Do you know exactly where I can access these profiles for NYU/Baruch students? I'm guessing these things are embedded deep into sites and seem to be quite resistant to google.

Back