• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Resume tip: putting bullets to the right of text

doug reich

Some guy
I was just updating my resume and found that I wanted to put a label on the left margin, and then start bulleting on that same line. That's not possible with the actual bulleting environment, but it can be done by inserting a bullet symbol and then making the tabs look like bulleting.

These instructions are for MS Works; the only difference in Word is that the "Fonts" menu is found under "Format". Note also that you have to move the indentation carets so that wrapped lines appear correctly.

Works: How to Insert a Bullet to the Right of Text

I've struggled with doing this for a while, so I hope this helps someone else.

If I interpret your problem correctly, an easy workaround for this would also be to just use tables.

I don't agree about latex; latex doesn't accept differing opinions on formatting of things. That's fine if you aren't too picky, or if you are really good at hacking tex. However, on a resume you should not compromise on the look. Furthermore, a lot of places expect you to send them a copy of the resume in MS Word format. What are you going to do then?

I don't see how tables help; that is an equivalent hack repeated once per bullet instead of once, period.

Referring to the Microsoft Support website you referenced, your problem looks similar to this,

Skills: - C++
_____- C#
_____- VBA

for instances. This requires one table with one row and two columns. That is (as I said in my first reply) if I interpreted correctly what you wanted to achieve

I don't agree about latex; latex doesn't accept differing opinions on formatting of things. That's fine if you aren't too picky, or if you are really good at hacking tex. However, on a resume you should not compromise on the look. Furthermore, a lot of places expect you to send them a copy of the resume in MS Word format. What are you going to do then?

I'd just ignore - in my (10+ years) experience, if a company insist on sending CV in Word format only, they're not worth the effort at all.

The main point of (La)TeX is exactly insisting on the form. Do you think that you know more about typography and related stuff than one of the most brilliant computer science minds (D. Knuth), that spent 10 years in learning about the domain, and building a computer program to obey the rules?

LaTeX has some excellent packages for writing CVs; for some examples see here: Using the LaTeX Resume Templates . I think any of these fares well with regards to "no compromise on the look"; and again - IMO, if an employer encountered that "look" of CV is that important to them, I don't think they're worth the effort.

(Note, however, also: if a prospective employer appears that insist on sending Word CV, and you really, really think it's worth the hassle, then you could easily find number of places on the net offering free PDF, generated by LaTeX, conversion to Word format...)

I'd just ignore - in my (10+ years) experience, if a company insist on sending CV in Word format only, they're not worth the effort at all.

IMO, if an employer encountered that "look" of CV is that important to them, I don't think they're worth the effort.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA......

In my very humble opinion, you'll be discounting yourself from a massive amount of jobs if your approach to an employers request for a Word document is "no". Take this from a man who is "in between jobs" and going through the application process as we speak...

If I interpret your problem correctly, an easy workaround for this would also be to just use tables.

Most of the places convert the uploaded pdf documents to word or even simpler text formats, before further processing. If a word file with tables is converted into pdf, reconversion creates formatting problems. On the same line, it seems that the auto read program that many places use doesn't properly read values from a table.

It's best if a symbol is used to create a bullet in front of any text. I am not sure about LaTex though.

Back