• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Reverse Law of Large Numbers

I would agree with some of this. It can easily be seen whenever a stock sees a downgrade or upgrade, very quickly the stock moves. Also with the sell offs, you can see herd mentality.

Looks very cool. It seems to imply that, while you are modeling correlation between participants, you're ultimately going to wind up with a correlation distribution, and an expected correlation, and therefore, a guess.

Who knows which way sentiment will migrate as participants begin to copy one another. I do find the idea of modeling such things fascinating, though.

I've read about information cascades in a microeconomics book (because my micro class wasn't challenging enough, so I got curious) and all I have to say is:

o_O o_o o_O O_O HOLY ****.

That is an absolutely genius way of looking at things. Wow. You'd never really think of a RLLN when dealing with millions of people, yet it happens all the time, especially with CNBC giving so many newbies investment directions (ahem, Jim Cramer).

That said, I myself am an investing newbie! No money in the market (well, my mom owns tyco electronics and sysco I believe) personally since I'm only making my first money now at an actuarial internship...but I definitely see the logic behind this, and I have to say, to build a hedge fund off of this strategy? Holy ****.

Back