• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Risk management vs Crypto trading

I'm a student at APAC, aiming to apply for MFE program for at next year.
And I am planning to add some more internship experience before graduation. Currently I have two options.
1. Risk management intern at one of European banks.(Think of Socgen/BNP/HSBC)
2. Investment research/ Trading intern at local Crypto currency AM fund.

As I see from placement statistics of MFE graduates, I think Risk management intern would have a good additional aspect of the resume when raising my chance of being admitted to good MFE program. On the other hand 2nd option I believe would not be at significant factor in resume when considering only the aspect of admission both in subject wise and name-value wise.
However I have absolutely no intention of going to risk management division at IB even if I graduate MFE so if I choose the first option the only reason is that it would be more helpful toward my admission compared to the 2nd one.
On the other hand, established crypto funds such as Pantera or Polychain would definitely be one of my future career aspects, and I think this experience would anyhow show my interest in the cryptocurrency trading although it won't be much helpful for my admission.

To help explain my situation, currently I have 3 summer internship experiences:
1 European Universal Bank(think of HSBC/StanChart/RBS/ING) at WM division at local branch.
1 European BB structuring desk - fx/rates based exotic options (HK/SG office)

I would like to receive some advice about what additional aspects I should consider when choosing between these two options, or I would appreciate it if you guys could just give recommendation with reasons.

Thanks in advance:)

Last edited:
I'm a student at APAC, aiming to apply for MFE program for at next year.
And I am planning to add some more internship experience before graduation. Currently I have two options.
1. Risk management intern at one of European banks.(Think of Socgen/BNP/HSBC)
2. Investment research/ Trading intern at local Crypto currency AM fund.

As I see from placement statistics of MFE graduates, I think Risk management intern would have a good additional aspect of the resume when raising my chance of being admitted to good MFE program. On the other hand 2nd option I believe would not be at significant factor in resume when considering only the aspect of admission both in subject wise and name-value wise.
However I have absolutely no intention of going to risk management division at IB even if I graduate MFE so if I choose the first option the only reason is that it would be more helpful toward my admission compared to the 2nd one.
On the other hand, established crypto funds such as Pantera or Polychain would definitely be one of my future career aspects, and I think this experience would anyhow show my interest in the cryptocurrency trading although it won't be much helpful for my admission.

To help explain my situation, currently I have 3 summer internship experiences:
1 European Universal Bank(think of HSBC/StanChart/RBS/ING) at WM division at local branch.
1 European BB structuring desk - fx/rates based exotic options (HK/SG office)
1 American BB trading desk. - equities (planned next summer) (HK/SG office)

I would like to receive some advice about what additional aspects I should consider when choosing between these two options, or I would appreciate it if you guys could just give recommendation with reasons.

Thanks in advance:)
Why do you need an MFE...you are already doing what MFE graduates do...

I think Risk Management is very useful and versitile, while crypto trading is just like every other kind of trading. Cryptos could potentially lose their appeal or experience alternating phases (see 2017 vs 2018). Note that, in general, trading firms have always been volatile and crypto trading will not be an exception.

Why do you need an MFE...you are already doing what MFE graduates do...
Sorry for the late reply. I really want to work in US, especially in HF industry. I guess my current skillset just from studying mathematics in local university is not satisfactory..and having only local uni bsc is not quite appealing in the resume when it comes to applying for those top HF or Props not in UK/US, but even in HK/SG. That's why I thought I needed a big change in my academic background.

I think Risk Management is very useful and versitile, while crypto trading is just like every other kind of trading. Cryptos could potentially lose their appeal or experience alternating phases (see 2017 vs 2018). Note that, in general, trading firms have always been volatile and crypto trading will not be an exception.
thanks for the advice! I chose the RM division, and quite satisfied as now.

RM in the usual banking book credit risk won’t add much weight. Best if it’s in market or counterparty credit where you at least touch derivatives

RM in the usual banking book credit risk won’t add much weight. Best if it’s in market or counterparty credit where you at least touch derivatives
thnks for the insight. Yes ur right. The banking book won't make much weight. I'm working in market/counterparty credit. Usually touching FX/IR derivatives.

Back