COMPARE Rutgers FSRM vs NYU-poly MFE

Hi, I got admission to both programs. Coz I should make a dicision by 7th, April, is there any quick informative advice? Thanks for any kind help.

Rutgers:
1. a rigorous curriculum structure and dedicated director but less connection to financial industry;
2. FSRM is for risk management and data analysis work;
3. Feedback from Rutgers's students is neutral and cold;
4. Rutgers provides a good educational experience.
Poly:
1. has a less solid curriculum and poor teaching quality but stronger connection to industry;
2.Poly is for i-dont-know whatever financial related work;
3. Feedback from Poly's students is generally good on Linkedin;
4. Poly provides a better location and more opportunities to do unpaid internships, which I thought can only provide stamps on resume but not so valuable because it is 'unpaid' you will not be assigned core work. However, poly has soft advantages like merging with NYU, sharing NYU Careernet, or others (which I still think as a bug).

So I think a better curriculum and to learn the knowledge is more important, and then will choose Rutgers.

However, I am not so into Statistics and data analysis job. I am more into programming trading (even want to apply to CS), consulting, banking, or IBD (less brain work but more physical and dealing with people).

So which will I choose? My short term goal is to land a financial job in NYC.

Thanks for any kind advice.

poly students dont get a lot of interview opportunities, i think the same goes for rutgers students. u need to network yourself. i know a few poly mfe students got interviews from some bb, tho not for desk quant roles. not clear abt how rutgers fsrm students r doing. so if u r the social type, maybe choosing a school in nyc is better for u to network around and make ur way into a top bb.

and yeah poly students have access to wasserman. register at ocr early if u join poly eventually. good luck!

poly students dont get a lot of interview opportunities, i think the same goes for rutgers students. u need to network yourself. i know a few poly mfe students got interviews from some bb, tho not for desk quant roles. not clear abt how rutgers fsrm students r doing. so if u r the social type, maybe choosing a school in nyc is better for u to network around and make ur way into a top bb.

and yeah poly students have access to wasserman. register at ocr early if u join poly eventually. good luck!

yeah I am more social than studying.. However, I think networking can only help one step into the door, and solid skills can finally help land a job. So what kind of employees bb prefer? Maybe it depends on the job type. But I think normal Chinese students may only sell their knowledge when looking for a job. So a good educational experience and solid skills may be better.

Social or Skillful? Thanks for your advice. Lyn Huang

if u want a decent job u need both lol

im not sure abt nyu's policies, but i guess u can take courses or at least audit some courses at courant and add them to ur resume. be sure u do have a good command of whatever is on ur resume in the first place tho

if u want a decent job u need both lol

im not sure abt nyu's policies, but i guess u can take courses or at least audit some courses at courant and add them to ur resume. be sure u do have a good command of whatever is on ur resume in the first place tho[/quote

Yeah I know I can do that. But Rutgers has a good reputation in NYC too? I noticed that some Poly FE students would do another master like Math in Courant or OR/Stat in Columbia later, but Rutgers students seldom do this. I think the main reason is: 1. To longer the OPT period to land a job. 2. Maybe tuition in Poly (offset by schorlarship too) is less. This also reflects: Poly's course is less rigorous than Rutgers.

I also think the choice is due to one's goal. If I go to Rutgers, I will pursue a PhD in finance. If I go to Poly, I will try my best to land a job in NYC bb. Both are challenging.

Now the question is: To pursue a quant job in NYC after a longer hard time in academy or just do basic financial ( the best is to step into top bb) job? Of course the latter could be replaced by doing another master like MSMF in NYU.

Thinking to this level, I still do not know where my heart directs to.

lol according to previous conversation (not only in this thread), i dont think u will like a quant job if u really know what it's abt. if u really love it then a phd degree will give u an edge in landing a quant job but not a phd in finance. better in a quantitative major, say math/physics/ee/cs. i've already told u how to make ur courses more rigorous if u go to poly. honestly there's no difference to me wrt brand names of these two programs.. thats why i'd suggest u go to nyc since u think u r good at networking

Back