• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Rutgers MSMF and Columbia MSOR

Hello, I know this is an old topic but I just got AD from both programs.

Anyone knows about both program? I'd like to do risk management after graduation. Job placement-wise, which one is a better choice for me?

Thanks a lot! I personally prefer Columbia because its better reputation and location. Any recommendations?

I think placement in risk management between the two programs would probably be pretty comparable. As for the Columbia MSOR reputation, why do you think it is better? I agree that Columbia in general has a better name than Rutgers, but I disagree that the MSOR has a better name than the MSMF program.

As for location, yes, NYC trumps New Brunswick any day of the week, but it only takes an hour to get to Penn Station from here, so we are close enough to make it to networking events, interviews, etc.

I think placement in risk management between the two programs would probably be pretty comparable. As for the Columbia MSOR reputation, why do you think it is better? I agree that Columbia in general has a better name than Rutgers, but I disagree that the MSOR has a better name than the MSMF program.

As for location, yes, NYC trumps New Brunswick any day of the week, but it only takes an hour to get to Penn Station from here, so we are close enough to make it to networking events, interviews, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I do mean reputation in the sense that Columbia is an IVY school overall. Both programs offer the courses that I need. I believe the training strength would be similar also. Yet what I'm most concerned about is how easy to nail an intern when you compare both program side by side. Maybe not too many people can answer this question without bias...

Brand name, location, you name it, Columbia's got it. I've taken a few classes in Rutgers MSMF. They didn't teach me too much of value.

The brand name associated with Columbia in the industry is due to the MFE and MSMF programs there, not MSOR.

I will add that I have an obvious bias towards Rutgers MSMF.

Back