• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Rutgers MSMF VS IIT stuart math finance VS Northeastern U industrial and applied math

I know rutgers MSMF is ranked top 10 by some certain magazine, besides, it is close to NYC, so job hunting may be easier. And IIT is located in Chicago, a good place as well, and the program is said to have a good opportunity to find job. As well as the program from Northeastern. It is located in Boston. And the math department of Northeastern is ranked top18 in the whole nation. Can anybody help me to decide which one to go?

Thanks

The strenth of the Northeastern math department is irrelevant. I know a top 15 math department whose master's in financial math is absolutely worthless. On the other hand, Baruch's math department probably doesn't even make it in the top 30 or 40 departments -- yet its MFE is among the best. Be suspicious of any program that advertises the strength of the department behind it. Ask for things like placement rates, average starting salaries, and the like. If the people you ask flinch, avert their eyes, or shilly-shally, there's your answer right there.

Then how about IIT?

The MFE program of IIT seems good in way of job hunting, is it true? And I'd really want to find somebody and ask him face to face that how are the placement rates, average starting salaries in IIT as well as rutgers. But I just can't... So here I am asking in this forum. Btw, what is placement rates? Thanks!

Um, Vincent, when I first read your post about Northeastern's Math Dept. being #18 in the nation, I almost jumped out of my seat.

A quick check at US News Graduate School rankings (I believe this is what you have used, yes?) showed not Northeastern at the #18 spot, but instead Northwestern.. It might've been just a different 'direction' that confused you, but it's quite significant in this matter. :D

wow...Thanks to point it out. I almost made a huge mistake. Anyway, I think I'd rather go to Rutgers.

The MFE program of IIT seems good in way of job hunting, is it true? ... So here I am asking in this forum. Btw, what is placement rates? Thanks!

Probably no-one here knows. You have to get it straight from the horse's mouth -- if the horse is willing to talk. The problem is everyone's placement rates are poor right now so no-one wants to divulge them (except perhaps Baruch). "Placement rate" refers to the percentage of alumni they manage to place. Once they've shoved that piece of paper (the degree) in your hand, you'd like to know you've got somewhere to go to. The placement rate gives you some reassurance before you fork out your money that the program director knows what he's doing, that the program is accepted in the market, and that consequently you will have gainful employment.

It's your job to ask the tough questions. Caveat Emptor is the rule. If the answers don't satisfy you, walk away. It's your money and your life. A lot of these half-assed programs will limp on for a few more years and then close their doors. Don't let them fleece you.

And I repeat: the strength of the department means nothing. Princeton may be a very strong university with a very strong math department. But when you judge what it has to offer, you will use the same critieria of average starting salaries and placement rates.

Back