• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MSOR S&T?

I got redirected to MSOR from MFE and will write admission committees on paragraph regarding my interest in MSOR.

I was wondering if this program can help me get to S&T? If so, what courses should I be taking?

Also, in my personal statement on MFE, I wrote that my career goal is to become a quant. Do you think if it's a good idea to change it to S&T if I'm asked what my career goal is in an interview?

Thanks for your insights.

it entirely depends on u
but since ur be rejected by mfe, they probably figured ur very likely not gona make it

it entirely depends on u
but since ur be rejected by mfe, they probably figured ur very likely not gona make it
Well I wouldn't say "you're very likely not going to make it". It's just that perhaps your quant background isn't enough for their MFE program.
MSOR contains many of the same MFE and quant courses as the MFE program, so it definitely can cultivate your interest in quant. I am in no position to recommend what you say in the interview, but good luck on it!

Have you heard back from them after replying to their email?

I got an MSOR from Columbia and went straight into a trading role at a bulge bracket bank via on-campus recruiting. Not everyone does it, and getting these jobs is a very competitive process regardless what program you attend, but the opportunity is definitely there. As for what courses to take, I don't know what the current electives are, but when I was there it was pretty easy to tell what might be applicable to a career in the capital markets. The exact courses you take are less important than your GPA and your aggressiveness in searching for a job, for roles in S&T. And yes, of course, if you are in a S&T interview, tell them you want to be a trader or salesperson. If you're in a quant interview, that's when you can tell someone you want to be a quant.

I got an MSOR from Columbia and went straight into a trading role at a bulge bracket bank via on-campus recruiting. Not everyone does it, and getting these jobs is a very competitive process regardless what program you attend, but the opportunity is definitely there. As for what courses to take, I don't know what the current electives are, but when I was there it was pretty easy to tell what might be applicable to a career in the capital markets. The exact courses you take are less important than your GPA and your aggressiveness in searching for a job, for roles in S&T. And yes, of course, if you are in a S&T interview, tell them you want to be a trader or salesperson. If you're in a quant interview, that's when you can tell someone you want to be a quant.

Thanks for your response. I'm asking what I should say if I got an interview from MSOR and what I should say to them about my career goal. I stated that I wanted to be a quant in my personal statement when I applied to MSFE. Since I got redirected to MSOR, I'm a little hesitant to say that I wanna do S&T, which would conflict with my original career goal.

Thanks for your response. I'm asking what I should say if I got an interview from MSOR and what I should say to them about my career goal. I stated that I wanted to be a quant in my personal statement when I applied to MSFE. Since I got redirected to MSOR, I'm a little hesitant to say that I wanna do S&T, which would conflict with my original career goal.

Oh I see. I'm not sure, to be honest. Thankfully when I applied there was no interview requirement! Sorry.

Oh I see. I'm not sure, to be honest. Thankfully when I applied there was no interview requirement! Sorry.

It's all good. I'll probably stick to my original career goal and make something up. I'll let you know how it goes, and if possible, I'd like to connect with you if I get accepted by this program. I appreciate your insights.

Back