• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Second Bachelors?

Hello there QuantNet community. I've been lurking around for a while but this will be my first post and I was wondering if I could get insight/advice in regards to the path to becoming a quant. For a little background, I graduated w/a double major in Economics and Political Science from a complete non-target out west (first-gen student who thought a degree was a degree and went to the school that offered him the most money) and as a result, have had very unfulfilling client relation roles related to finance since graduation.
I'm currently enrolled in a community college taking classes in physics, mathematics, and computer science and plan to transfer to an in-state university to obtain a bachelors in one of the aforementioned fields; I like aspects of all 3 majors so I'm not entirely certain which one to choose but is one considered better in applying to MFE programs (or how are they ranked typically based off of perception)? I know the pre-reqs for MFE programs also don't require a certain degree moreso just certain skills/languages but the degree would be to give me options beyond client relation roles if going the MFE/quant route ends up stalling out.

Also, any advice and or questions you may feel I should know/look in general would also be appreciated!

last time i checked, good state schools don't usually accept 2nd bachelor degree student. unless you don't tell them...

I did a second BS in math from a good (private) school. Mostly part time at night, I’m really glad I did but it was a slog. Quant is hard to break into on the best days. Need GPA > 3.5, gre close to 170. It’s really import to define why you want this career path.

last time i checked, good state schools don't usually accept 2nd bachelor degree student. unless you don't tell them...
Well i mean the state school is decent but definitely not super prestigious; you'll most likely have heard of it. But really it would just hopefully be a stepping stone to a good masters program

I did a second BS in math from a good (private) school. Mostly part time at night, I’m really glad I did but it was a slog. Quant is hard to break into on the best days. Need GPA > 3.5, gre close to 170. It’s really import to define why you want this career path.
Were you working full-time as well during your second bachelors?
Did you find having that first degree hindered you in anyway when trying to break in?

oh dear just wondering how many more years you gona do school before start making real quant mula... ask how old will you be then? hmm

in my experience i got my foot in the door many times even with 3.1. not for like two sigma or d.e. shaw or the like, but for one tier below that (akuna, DRW, optiver, etc) it is fine. just have to pass the brainteasers, probability, coding, and such. currently doing an on-site for a quant research analyst role in established buy-side firm 🙂

whether you pass the first rounds and then eventually get dinged during the final rounds cuz of some dealbreaker like GPA is another issue however

oh dear just wondering how many more years you gona do school before start making real quant mula... ask how old will you be then? hmm
I know I miss a late starter into this but honestly it'll be worth it to me. I'm capable of way better than the work I'm currently doing. Age wise I'll be early 30's at most which doesn't seem unreasonable from what I've seen on this site. Im also a URM which regardless of if I like it or not, may give me a leg up if I can show I have the chops

in my experience i got my foot in the door many times even with 3.1. not for like two sigma or d.e. shaw or the like, but for one tier below that (akuna, DRW, optiver, etc) it is fine. just have to pass the brainteasers, probability, coding, and such. currently doing an on-site for a quant research analyst role in established buy-side firm 🙂

whether you pass the first rounds and then eventually get dinged during the final rounds cuz of some dealbreaker like GPA is another issue however
Were you able to break into those roles with just a bachelors?

I did a second BS in math from a good (private) school. Mostly part time at night, I’m really glad I did but it was a slog.

Similar to me, very happy I did it, too. Same place as my undergrad (public).

Were you able to break into those roles with just a bachelors?

Like quantsmodelsbottles (best name on QNet), I was able to as well.

Were you working full-time as well during your second bachelors?
Did you find having that first degree hindered you in anyway when trying to break in?
Yes, I was working full time when I did the bachelors. Very supportive employer, at least until I got to Stochastic Processes but that’s understandable.

The first degree wasn’t really a factor, I kind of came in through the back door, basically transferred to a quantitative team after doing well in the back office when a quantitative team within the bank needed someone with my skill set.

The second degree helps, since I don’t have to explain the first one away anymore. “Wow, you have a BA in Jeopardy. What are you doing in Quant?”

Given that one of your degrees was in economics, I would assume that you have a fairly good grasp in fundamentals of mathematics such as single and multivariate calculus, probability and statistics, and perhaps differential equations. Second, we live in an information age where there is a plethora of great educational online platforms that can be tailored to your needs and goals. Third, why waste an additional four years pursuing yet another bachelor degree only to get into quant finance. Why not readjust your ambitions and align them with a more pragmatic approach.

Try transferring your undergraduate economics degree credits towards graduate studies in economics. If they are accepted, then get cracking with a masters degree in economics while finding time to cement your mathematical foundations (either through selfstudy or by taking permission from your department to take relevant mathematics classes). From there you have plenty of choices....A) Break into the finance industry B) Pursue a PhD in economics C) Get another masters in financial engineering and head to the industry. Good luck.

Given that one of your degrees was in economics, I would assume that you have a fairly good grasp in fundamentals of mathematics such as single and multivariate calculus, probability and statistics, and perhaps differential equations. Second, we live in an information age where there is a plethora of great educational online platforms that can be tailored to your needs and goals. Third, why waste an additional four years pursuing yet another bachelor degree only to get into quant finance. Why not readjust your ambitions and align them with a more pragmatic approach.

Try transferring your undergraduate economics degree credits towards graduate studies in economics. If they are accepted, then get cracking with a masters degree in economics while finding time to cement your mathematical foundations (either through selfstudy or by taking permission from your department to take relevant mathematics classes). From there you have plenty of choices....A) Break into the finance industry B) Pursue a PhD in economics C) Get another masters in financial engineering and head to the industry. Good luck.
Thank you. It's been a few years since I graduated so I'm taking some math classes and a computer science class a community college to freshen up and that's when i became interested and thought it may be beneficial to go get a second degree since I could probably do it a little faster than the first go round.

Hello there QuantNet community. I've been lurking around for a while but this will be my first post and I was wondering if I could get insight/advice in regards to the path to becoming a quant. For a little background, I graduated w/a double major in Economics and Political Science from a complete non-target out west (first-gen student who thought a degree was a degree and went to the school that offered him the most money) and as a result, have had very unfulfilling client relation roles related to finance since graduation.
I'm currently enrolled in a community college taking classes in physics, mathematics, and computer science and plan to transfer to an in-state university to obtain a bachelors in one of the aforementioned fields; I like aspects of all 3 majors so I'm not entirely certain which one to choose but is one considered better in applying to MFE programs (or how are they ranked typically based off of perception)? I know the pre-reqs for MFE programs also don't require a certain degree moreso just certain skills/languages but the degree would be to give me options beyond client relation roles if going the MFE/quant route ends up stalling out.

Also, any advice and or questions you may feel I should know/look in general would also be appreciated!
If you already have a bachelors in economics I would consider doing the Baruch pre- mfe calculus, linear algebra, and c++. If you can do that you should be good no need to do another bachelors

If you already have a bachelors in economics I would consider doing the Baruch pre- mfe calculus, linear algebra, and c++. If you can do that you should be good no need to do another bachelors

best suggestion so far imo. minimizes the risk associated with education cost, and u just need one more MFE degree. the other good alternative would be a phd in economics if ur interested in research and can get into a top program. or try ur hands at startup shops, u never know. work for a few years, even if they go bust u’ll be in a better place than u were before

I'll check it out; just out of curiosity, is it geniunely helpful in MFE applications?

Back