• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Second Master's as a Quant? Why and What

Started this topic to gather advice for my next step as well as to share thoughts/experience.

I finished Master of Math Finance at UToronto and have been a quant researcher (strat and data) for almost a year (undergrad in Stats). As I am seeking the best quant funds to learn and grow, feeling Canada is really not the place I should stay (small markets and not proactive), US/HK instead. Then I am thinking of applying another Master's in US (only way to get a job there and I won't do phD). As for HK, funds prefer experienced ones far as I know.

Then it comes to what school/major to apply for. Another MFE is not the thing, as it will be a waste of everything (though they do have good career services). Then what should be a legit program to learn new stuff AND to target quant funds? Data Science is the only option I have now (happy to know if you have recommend on that also).

Wondering if there are buddies who have gone through/are in similar situations. Welcome to share any idea. Thanks in advance!

Started this topic to gather advice for my next step as well as to share thoughts/experience.

I finished Master of Math Finance at UToronto and have been a quant researcher (strat and data) for almost a year (undergrad in Stats). As I am seeking the best quant funds to learn and grow, feeling Canada is really not the place I should stay (small markets and not proactive), US/HK instead. Then I am thinking of applying another Master's in US (only way to get a job there and I won't do phD). As for HK, funds prefer experienced ones far as I know.

Then it comes to what school/major to apply for. Another MFE is not the thing, as it will be a waste of everything (though they do have good career services). Then what should be a legit program to learn new stuff AND to target quant funds? Data Science is the only option I have now (happy to know if you have recommend on that also).

Wondering if there are buddies who have gone through/are in similar situations. Welcome to share any idea. Thanks in advance!
Maybe a MS in machine learning? Why not just try to move internally to a USA office?

Maybe a MS in machine learning? Why not just try to move internally to a USA office?
Yeah ML would be a concentration of Data Science.
I can only think of CPP (a pension fund) having a NY office and internal transfer is merely heard of.

I would consider a CS master degree just to widen my career opportunities. You can try quant developer or just developer if you really like programming

I would consider a CS master degree just to widen my career opportunities. You can try quant developer or just developer if you really like programming
True. I realize my cs shortage now and then compared to a dev. Any CS programs you recommend? Would they consider students without heavy-cs background? (I know very well of scripting/stats, but not programming/infra).

p.s. I would say I don't 'really' like programming lol, just that a quant had better to be well-rounded and CS is so fundamental.

why not keep on working and maybe do the Georgia Tech online MS in computer science? It's something I would look into.
Will check that! Mainly that I prefer to have opportunities in US.

omscs is a joke. watered down curriculum. the depth is totally not there.
Won't do online since I need working visa afterwards.
Doing online is only to get a 'certificate', not real stuff, even for UCB data science online program imo.

True. I realize my cs shortage now and then compared to a dev. Any CS programs you recommend? Would they consider students without heavy-cs background? (I know very well of scripting/stats, but not programming/infra).

p.s. I would say I don't 'really' like programming lol, just that a quant had better to be well-rounded and CS is so fundamental.

I don't really have good recommendation, but I do see when the firms hire a QR or quant developer, they are looking for solid programming skills. At the same time, you will have other career options to choose from if you graduate from a CS master in the US.

omscs is a joke. watered down curriculum. the depth is totally not there.
Hi, as I am seriously considering signing up for this program, could you point to any sources that support your statement that the curriculum is watered down?

I don't really have good recommendation, but I do see when the firms hire a QR or quant developer, they are looking for solid programming skills. At the same time, you will have other career options to choose from if you graduate from a CS master in the US.

yup, they screen you with hackerrank nowadays. i keep getting fucked by this, having focused on pen and paper probability brainteasers exclusively for a while

Back