Seeking Advice: Career Transition into Quantitative Finance

Hi everyone,

I'm 29 years old and have spent almost 7 years working in the oil and gas sector, primarily in logistics and technical assurance roles across multiple countries. This year, I began a 3-year BSc in Mathematics as my first university experience, with the goal of transitioning into quantitative finance, specifically as a quant researcher.

My current plan is to continue working full-time for the next two years while completing my degree. After that, I plan to take a year off to focus solely on finishing my degree and seeking internship opportunities in quantitative finance.

Given my background and the path I've chosen, I'd appreciate your thoughts on:
  • How do you view my profile in the context of transitioning to quant finance?
  • Does my age present any challenges for breaking into the field?
  • What do you think of my strategy to balance full-time work with studies for the first two years and then focus on completing my degree and internships in the final year?
If there are any key skills or areas of focus you’d recommend to strengthen my profile for quant roles, I’d love to hear them.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Hi Harvey,
Do you know there are many quant graduates work in Oil and Gas? I know many Quantnet members working in Houston.
If you want to use your experience in OG and work in the same field later on, it is something to keep in mind. There are many trading firms that are little known but specialize in energy trading and pays really well too.

Back