Seeking advice: How could I improve my math skills.

• Thread starter Thread starter wenbo
  • Start date Start date
Hi
I am Wenbo. I majored in accounting for my bachelor degree. After considering several factors, I plan to apply for MFE program. However, when I looked at my transcripts, I just saw 2 semesters' calculus, one semester liner algebra, one semester probability and one semester statistics. Since I have plenty of time in next several months, I'd like to hone my math skills to strengthen my competency in application. Do you have any suggestion about how could I improve my math skills? I don't think self-reading is a good way for me. Online courses or certificates, in my view, is good. If there is an online math program similar to C++ Certificate from Baruch College, it would be better. Does taking GRE General Test or GRE Math Sub is an advantage?( I've got a GMAT score, 90% for quant section. For GRE Sub test, some of the content in it is much beyond what MFE requires, right?)
I am looking forward for your reply. Thanks in advance.

Hi Wenbo. I also majored in accounting and my transcripts are pretty much like yours, but I had no linear algebra and I'm a 2:2 class, since I was already an IT manager when I went to college -- never went to IT college, even though I have more than 13 years of full time work experience and I'm 29. What I'm doing is going back to my University as a special student and taking math and statistics classes at math department. I'll take Calculus 3 and 4, Partial Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Stochastics Process and Application of Stochastics Process. In order to ace (or close) those disciplines, I got myself prepared by online courses. I'm not much confident that adcom will consider online certificates, since the tests are unsupervised and likely to be cheated, so online courses are useful to tough you up to face a presential course and ace it. I made my homework through Youtube, Coursera and MIT OCW.

Take a look at universities close to where you live and see if they can take you as a special student in order to attend specific classes and get an academic certification. I think this is the best option we have.

Back