• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Seeking for advice please help:)

Hi,

I am a current student pursuing my Masters of Accounting degree at Fordham University and expecting to graduate this December. I graduated with B.B.A double major in Finance and Marketing back in 2013 from the University of Iowa. My gpa are not that great, around 3.3-3.4. My goal is to get into Investment Banking programs but my background is apparently not strong enough, not to say I also have visa sponsorship problem. So I came up with an idea to pursue for another master’s degree (preferably in NYC since this is where I live right now.) I’ve been looking into Columbia’s Masters of Financial Engineering, Masters of Operations Research, NYU mathematical Finance and CMU computational Finance. I know these programs are solid and hard to get into so I want to get myself prepared. I thought it might be helpful to have some math/programing class before I apply for masters program. I then looked into the certificate degree Columbia University offers, Certificate in Quantitative Finance and Online Columbia Video Networking (Financial engineering or operations research or applied math). I really need advice on this since I’m sort of lost. Thanks in advance!

Best,
M

I would caution against doing anymore expensive degrees that may get you no closer to your goal. If your goal is to get into an IB training class, the normal route is go through campus recruiting which banks do at target schools.
Given that you are not in that target pool, your chance is lower. You just have to network and target your goal realistically. Maybe go to boutique or second tiered banks.
MFE programs are not designed for typical IB jobs.

I second Andy. Your Fordham degree is not great, but decent. You should try to land a seat at a middle market bank or lower-tier asset management firm. Consider Big4 as well. It's easier to apply for banking at BBs with a year or so of relevant experience.

That said, an MFin at schools like Princeton/MIT/Vandy/CMC have decent IB placements. It might be worth the additional investment. The programs you listed are very poor choices because 1) they don't have recruiting contacts to IB departments whatsoever, and 2) you probably won't survive the curriculum with your background.

I hope you know how lame it is to limit your school choice to the place where you'd "prefer to live". The degree takes 1-2 years to set you up for an entire career, location therefore shouldn't be a top priority.

I'm in one of the programs that you want to pursue. It's hard for you to get in based on your background and I don't see anyone with a degree in accounting around me. Those who get admitted with a finance degree all have solid background in math and/or CS as well. And MFE won't lead you to a position in IB.

Don't waste you time. If you want to do investment banking either you start right now cold calling, or you do an MBA. MFE are is not what you want to do. Maybe some corporate finance master would help...

Back