• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Seriously, PhD or MFE in Singapore?

I know this comparison is wired.... Sorry

Seeking for advices,

Choice: SMU PhD Econ vs. NTU MFE

Background: MSc Finance in UK Top 5 university/college, no working experience.

Goal: Middle or Back office in IB in Singapore.

I like financial econometrics so I applied SMU's PhD programme but I am not really keen to academia.
Currently I am doing quantitative finance and it seems MFE is a good place to build my quantitative skills higher.

My concern is that the four-year PhD will leave sufficient time and resources to prepare in terms of knowledge and skills, however, I will get into the industry earlier and accumulate more working experience for MFE (if I am lucky enough to find a IB job after one year MFE).

Struggling... Thank you very much!

Hi Knight Imperial,

I think both the PhD and MFE have their pros and cons (as do any courses!) and I speak to people who have exactly the same conundrum on a daily basis. I've spoken to a few people on the MFE recently and it sounds like a really good programme.

There is another option on the table that you may or may not have considered and this is the Certificate in Quantitative Finance designed by Dr Paul Wilmott. I actually run this programme for the Asia Pacific region and this might also give you the flexibility as well as the practical knowledge that you seek.

If you'd like some more info on the CQF let me know and I'll be happy to help. In addition to this if you'd like to speak to PhD and MFE people I can also connect you.

Speak soon.

Hi Knight Imperial,

I think both the PhD and MFE have their pros and cons (as do any courses!) and I speak to people who have exactly the same conundrum on a daily basis. I've spoken to a few people on the MFE recently and it sounds like a really good programme.

There is another option on the table that you may or may not have considered and this is the Certificate in Quantitative Finance designed by Dr Paul Wilmott. I actually run this programme for the Asia Pacific region and this might also give you the flexibility as well as the practical knowledge that you seek.

If you'd like some more info on the CQF let me know and I'll be happy to help. In addition to this if you'd like to speak to PhD and MFE people I can also connect you.

Speak soon.

Hi Kris,

Thanks very much for your kindly reply and also thanks for introducing the CQF to me. You mentioned you could connnect to current PhD and MFE students, could you do me a favor to introduce me? Thanks very much!

Back