• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Shopping

radosr

Baruch MFE Faculty
You are out shopping one day with $N, and you find an item whose price has a random value between $0 and $N. You buy as many of these items as you can with your $N. What is the expected value of the money you have left over? (Assume that $N is large compared to a penny, so that the distribution of prices is essentially continuous.)

Yes. I meant then you will be expecting the price to be $N/2. So you buy exactly 2 of the items.

If I didn't mess up the details, it works out to \(N ( 1 - \frac{\pi^2}{12})\). Not one of your harder problems, but definitely surprising!

Nice work! Share the details or should I?

correct.
it is
\(\sum_{k=1}^\infty \large(\frac{1}{k} - \frac{1}{k+1}\right)\cdot \large(N\cdot\large(\frac{1}{k} - \frac{1}{k+1}\right)\cdot \frac{k}{2}\right)\)

one distinguishes cases depending on the number of articles bought (Pr in the first bracket) and computes the expected change in each case (the second bracket).

With brutal force.

For k=1,..., if x is in [N/(k+1), N/k), then
the expectation of the change is \(\int_{N/(k+1)}^{N/k} (N-kx) \frac{1}{N}dx =\frac{N}{2} \frac{1}{ k (k+1)^2}\)

Then adding them altogether, we have
\(\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{N}{2} \frac{1}{ k (k+1)^2}=\frac{N}{2} \sum_{k=1}^\infty \{\frac{1}{ k (k+1)} - \frac{1}{ (k+1)^2}\} \)

Ignoring the N/2 for the moment, the sum of the first term is 1 and the sum of the second term (ignoring the subtraction sign) is \(\pi^2/6-1\)
Putting these two pieces together,
we have \(\frac{N}{2} \{1 -(\pi^2/6-1)\}=N(1-\pi^2/12)\)

As other people have mentioned, for this problem, brutal force is quite easy. I'm not sure if you have a cute solution other than the brutal force.

correct.
it is
\(\sum_{k=1}^\infty \large(\frac{1}{k} - \frac{1}{k+1}\right)\cdot \large(N\cdot\large(\frac{1}{k} - \frac{1}{k+1}\right)\cdot \frac{k}{2}\right)\)

one distinguishes cases depending on the number of articles bought (Pr in the first bracket) and computes the expected change in each case (the second bracket).

Back