• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Short term + Long term career goals

• Thread starter Thread starter roni
  • Start date Start date

roni

Cornell FE
Hello,

I am writing my SoP and I just want to make sure I'm using the right job titles.

I realized that I am interested in derivative pricing and modeling (too specific to put on SoP ?). How would you call these people who do this type of jobs ? Front Desk Quant analyst ?

Also, this is considered to be a short term goal, correct? Then, what is a typical long term goal for such quants ? are they going for an MBA ? perhaps they enter a different position ? (quant trading ?), or they go deeper in the same position ?

I have read the PDFs provided by Andy( If I'm not mistaken), yet, I was still a little confused about the positions.

Would appreciate any help.

Best,

Roni.

Looking at the profiles for the admitted folks might help. I know Baruch and UCB publish them

Looking at the profiles for the admitted folks might help. I know Baruch and UCB publish them
This is a very good idea.
lol I read the profiles like a year ago and totally forgot about it.

Thanks for the help :\

I would think for short-term something about becoming a quant analyst focusing on derivative pricing and modeling would be enough. I guess you could mention any specific derivatives that interest you, but I wouldn't want to come off as too narrow minded/focused.

Long-term: Maybe like head of research or fund manager?

Here is what you don't want to say and I see many of these.
"In five years, I will master the craft and become the head of my division. I then will come back to China to open my own firm/hedge fund (or some variants of this)"

You will then come off as extremely naïve and clueless about the industry. In five years, you most likely still learn your craft, let alone being a Wall Street mover and shaker.

These are the advices I was looking for :\

Thank you very much, guys.

I also am having a problem with this question. My background is in mathematics and physics and I don't have too much knowledge about the finance world. So I don't really know about all of the different career paths in depth and the differences. Is it it too broad to say that I'm interested in a couple of different topics (like modeling/forecasting the markets, and hedging/financial risk management) and hope that the classes I take and skills I acquire in the program will help me narrow it down? Also, for long term career plans, I would like to eventually get a PhD (after about 10 years of private sector work) and possibly become a professor. Is this normal for quants for their long term plans or do they usually stay in the private sector and move up, get an MBA, etc?

Mark Joshi has a guide.

http://www.markjoshi.com/downloads/advice.pdf

As far as what you would like to do, it comes down to personality. A good rule of thumb is that the more front office you are, the more you have to deal with clients and the more deadline pressure you are typically under.

Katherine,
It depends what kind of PhD you want to get. In general, work experience wont help your PhD application unless its research and directly related to the PhD youre applying for. And some schools may even frown upon the fact that you have been out of academia for so long.

Mark Joshi has a guide.

http://www.markjoshi.com/downloads/advice.pdf

As far as what you would like to do, it comes down to personality. A good rule of thumb is that the more front office you are, the more you have to deal with clients and the more deadline pressure you are typically under.
Hey,

I actually have this file, but a shorter version, so it will really help me here, thanks very much.

And, I know that front desk jobs make you deal with a lot of pressure, I think I am built for this as long as the job interests me :\

Back