• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Should I take GMAT a 3rd time for Rutgers MQF and GTech QCF?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for feedback from people who are familiar with the Rutgers MQF and GTech QCF programs. I am applying to both, but my GMATs have been subpar (660 (41Q), 620 (39Q). The second time I believe I was exhausted and overtrained waiting only a month between tests. I am wandering if it is worth taking the GMAT a third time (I already have a quant tutor lined up and am confident with more time I can hit 700), but my question to those who can speak knowledgeably about these programs is, am I already screwed.

I have an undergrad GPA from a top 100 U.S. public institution, Masters in Economics, a boatload of math (18 credits beyond calc 3) and c++ programming (7 credit hours) all completed while working full-time, and work experience as a research analyst for a public policy thinktank and a financial analyst for a Forbes 100 financial institution. I have contacts enrolled at these programs who said I was in good shape, especially since applications tend to be overwhelmed with Indian IT males, but this also tends to make quant scores extremely steep.

Despite my background am I fighting an uphill battle? Assuming I can hit 700 (with a Q score >45) which has been my target will these other scores hurt me despite the programs telling me they only look at highest score ( in the case of Rutgers at least). Can anyone familiar or perhaps even former students/faculty at these schools give me the lowdown?

Don't you have to submit each score? In that case, I wouldn't see any value, but others may know better than I do.

In my experience (I was preparing for MBA), that depends on each school... in fact, there are schools that not only consider the last score, but an average. Others, just consider the verbal part...

Anyway, taking GMAT 3 times is not bad...

I have never heard of a school that consider an average score, that doesn't make sense. Please link some info about this.

Andy,

I've taken the GRE with similar results, overall I like the GMAT better and I'm applying through the management school route at Tech. I mean as far as GMAT goes for these schools, am I in the sink as a I stand or is not uncommon for them to take students with GMATs of 660?

Schools are flooded with applicants whose GRE Q is an automatic 800/170 so you are at a disadvantage right off the bat. Unless you have a more compelling story to sell why you are more qualified than those applicants. Remember that these programs have hundreds of applicants and many are not going to proceed further if your GRE/GMAT is too low.
They are not going to state that publicly but there are cut off points for everything.

Andy,

Thanks for the feedback, thats what I figured. So back to my original question, whether it be the GRE or GMAT, holding all else constant and assuming I hit their implicit cutoffs, will it be worth it to retake or is the damage already done if you have two scores below the minimum (I can tell by your last post thats where I am right now)?

Secons Question:

Also what about applying to their MBA programs, I've been told my GMAT is well in range for both Gtech and Rutger, Newark( could I attend those and transfer into MQF after a semester), the idea has been suggested to me?

I wouldn't say I'm no good at quant, just I guess not at standardized tests (my verbal isn't tremendously better).Sucks cause a 660 isnt too bad and it would do the job for a lot of top MBAs (excluding HBS, Wharton), I just think MFEs teach valuable technical skill and increased understanding of quantiatative methodologies. MBA just wouldn't do it for me at this point, already have work experience, and an MBA wouldn't add too much value (IMO).

Did you go into these exams cold? I suggest taking some practice exams in a time-constrained environment. Also, (not a shill) you should sign up for Manhattan GRE/GMAT's computerized tests (they're pretty cheap if you just want the tests and not the actual class). The GRE and GMAT quant (GMAT being a little harder) are pretty trivial once you've seen 50 or so problems.

I have just bombed my 2nd GMAT today. Scoring a Q47 and V29 (630). My previous score was (Q46 V38 680). I did a MGMAT mock exam just right now. It turned out to be (Q51, V38) after a big nap since I was sleep deprived last night in which could be the reason of my poor performance. I will definitely take GMAT one more time just to prove that asymmetrical performance is just an coincidence and also use it for future MBA application.

I'm currently in the MQF program, and have a couple of classmates who transferred from the MBA program here. So that is a valid option if your MQF application doesn't work out, although you'll have to make an impression (by doing well in your quant-related classes etc) to earn the transfer.

Back