• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE Should UCB MFE students take summer internship?

I am going to join UCB MFE in 2025 and it would be so kind of you if you could give any advice on this question.

Normal Intern period for all other top MFE programs is in summer, but UCB's is in Fall. As I know, which might be wrong, Many companies open positions only in Summer not in Fall, which means students in UCB would mainly rely on the program's connection with these companies. But i don't know what position would be available at that time, especially during the time the Staff team at UCB has changed and is now under a new team management.

Some students in 24' and 23' UCB MFE suggested me to find a summer internship. But the program starts in March, and I will need to leave school from May to August, during which i need to handle study and work at same time. Also, the fall intern starts in September, and from March to August will also need time to search for fall interns, and it may also request onsite interviews sometimes. So, it's a bit hard to handle all these things.

Please let me know how you have scheduled or are going to schedule your time at UCB MFE, thank you so much.

First, please don't double post.

Second, I wouldn't mix and match full time study and work. But, you've spoken with students and can make your own choice. I'll let UCB students speak to the specifics of that program. They are going through a transition and it hasn't been very smooth.

First, please don't double post.

Second, I wouldn't mix and match full time study and work. But, you've spoken with students and can make your own choice. I'll let UCB students speak to the specifics of that program. They are going through a transition and it hasn't been very smooth.
Sry, i just don't know how to delete the previous post as i thought i posted them in wrong sections.

Students usually applying for internship right when they start the program.
Internship for Summer 2025 is opening right now for most firms. Being an incoming UCB MFE student, this would be entirely on your own without any support from the program.
If you get an internship for next summer and can arrange your schedule, it's better. I think self-reliance is very important, especially during this transition period. They just listed the position for career services director.

Back