• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Significance of GRE Maths Subject Test on Profile

Hi,
I want to pursue my post grad career in finance, and I have no finance experience except that i am IT professional working for a hedge fund company.

Can someone please let me know how will GRE Maths Subject Tests enhance my profile and increase my chances of being a better candidate for :-

1. Masters program in Finance and in Financial Engineering
2. MBA

Please do mention its significance for each of the above courses.
I will appreciate a quick response, as the deadline for GRE Maths Subject Test is nearby.

Thanks in Advance

-A

GRE Math has more relevance to MFE programs, less with MFin and MBA.
People generally take it and try to score high (75% percentile or more) to make up for a low grades in math courses or for those who did not take as many math courses as math majors.

Many people get admitted to top programs do not have GRE Math since they already have a very strong profile.

Thanks Andy for the reply.

Just for a brief background, i am very good at mathematics. I have always been in toppers count. Apart from that, i have done quite some changes to Complex Numbers Book written by my professor.

>> People generally take it and try to score high (75% percentile or more) to make up for a low grades in math courses or for those who did not take as many math courses as math majors.
(1) Considering my background above, do you think i should go for GRE maths subjective test to improve my profile for MFE?
(2) Doesn't it create a huge impression if we score above 95 percentile in maths subjective test for getting into top MFE colleges?
(3) How do you rate a person who score very well in Maths examination and is applying for MBA?

- Thanks a lot in advance,
A.

Coool, Andy I am planning to apply for UCLA Anderson MFE, and UCB MFE.
I have taken my GMAT as well with good marks in Quant GMAT.

Should I take GRE Maths to make my profile stronger for MFE Applications?

-A

I think it would help if you actually stated your profile.

Sure I stated my profile correctly.

Is GRE Maths Subject Test better than CFA L1 or FRM Part 1 on profile? I have to choose between these two.

GRE Math, CFA L1, FRM are not required nor necessary for admission. You seem to underestimate the amount of time it takes to study for CFA L1 or how difficult it is to get 95% percentile on GRE Math subject.

I would advise spend more time working on your essay and getting good recommenders. They would be more significance to your chance than the other exams.

I would advise spend more time working on your essay and getting good recommenders. They would be more significance to your chance than the other exams.

Hi Andy I am a graduate student from UCLA, major in Urban Planning w/ BA in economics as a minor. I have the similar question as the math demand in planning is light (say by the Anderson admission coordinator), I am considering to take math sub late this year. Do you think it will be a big help?
And by saying good recommenders, what might be the "good" ones? professor I worked for, or employer from my intern enterprises (which is a top-tied consulting)?
Many thanks!

What score is considered at positive signal for MFE's?

For those of us who are taking the GRE math subject regardless, what score is considered a positive signal to programs?

P.S. I'm applying for PhD's in stat and math specializing in probability as well as MFE's. I'm not sure whether I want to be industry math fi or academic math fi.

some data points to consider: of the applications I have read this year, only a handful of them submitted GRE Math and majority of them are in the high 80-90% percentile.
Thanks Andy, I get that 75%+ math will not harm.
How about CFA Level I? %candidate w/ Level II+ candidacy? I am taking Level II this june.

Back