• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Software/Algorithim to use in data fitting

Hi everyone, I am recently working on a project and have some questions about the computing part in it. So the situation is, I have a formula of a probability distribution and a set of market data points. I want to testify that the set of data points fits the theoretical PDF. But I am not sure which software is the best to use. The formula I got is quite complicated(an integral of some hyperbolic functions with complex number) and I think C++ can't really do the plotting efficiently. I looked into Maple but it took too long to plot the graph and also I don't know if maple have the function to fit data points on a graph. So now I am thinking about to learn Matlab to do it but I don't know will the level of the coding be too advanced to learn. So I wonder if anyone have suggestions about the software/algorithim I should use on this case?
Any input will be appreciated, thank you.

MATLAB should be helpful.It won't take too much to learn given that you already have programming background.

MATLAB or R. Both will do the job. MATLAB is $100 for student license, R is free.

thanks for the advice,
so i spent half day to learn Matlab and found some problems now
I have a integrand of two variables x and y. I have to do an integration over y to get an expression depends on x only and then plot it against x.
Now the problem is the integrand is too complicated that i cannot use the 'int' command but must use a 'quad' instead,
but since the expression includes the variable x, the quad does not allow me to do a numerical integration.
So is there any ways to do an integration over a two variables function w.r.t one variables only?
thank you

As far as i understood you want to vary the interval in which x lies and keep a fixed interval of y.Why not calculate the whole integral every time with different values of x and that fixed y 0r am i interpreting it wrong?

that should work, but then I have to change the values of x many times to get the plot, so is there any ways to do it will one/few command only?
Thanks for your help

Back