• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Software engineer to quant analyst/trader

• Thread starter Thread starter shabba
  • Start date Start date
Hi All,

I am a recent 2017 graduate, and landed a job as a software engineer at Qualcomm. I like the position and it is challenging, but I know that long term I do not want to be a software engineer. Math is and has always been my favorite subject, I would like to get a job as a quant analyst/trader and move back to NYC.

Some background about myself: I graduated with a electrical & computer engineering degree from UT - Austin (3.7 GPA). From this degree I have a good background in calculus, statistics, & linear algebra. At the moment I am a little out of practice, but could pick these up easily and push my knowledge further. I am currently working in high performance C++ software for cellular base stations (I think this will play well for trading systems, because the software I work with has to be super low latency). I also have some other engineering internships (flight simulation software at Boeing, and statistical failure analysis at Cypress semiconductor).

I am willing to dedicate about ~25-30hrs/week to self study to become a quant analyst/trader at a top firm, for as long as it takes (hopefully sub-12months). Its also important to note I'm not interested in becoming a pure quant developer. I like software as a tool, but I don't want it to be my only focus. Also, I would prefer not to spend the money on a masters, if possible.

My question to anyone who has done something similar: what should my roadmap look like? I'm talking specific books/courses. How to prepare for interviews. How to market myself/resume tips. Which jobs at which firms I should target. And how long of a timeline I should realistically have.

Thanks!

Back