• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Starting in the Quant Career

So I decided to take the first step into the Quant field. I signed up for Baruch's Masters in Quantitative Methods and Modeling, but from what I've heard that will not solidfy my way into the Quant field. So I've decided that after the Masters I will attempt to try and get into a MFE program and see what will happen from there.

I guess the masters in QMM has a very loose policy on what you should take in terms of classes and etc. So I'd like some input into what would be the best courses. Should I focus more on computer skills (SAS/R, C++, etc) or more in mathematics?

I have studied C++ in the past, but it's been a while so I don't remember much. I'm sure Baruch offers a C++ class so I'm probably going to step up and take those classes. Man I'm excited, but any pointers would be appreciated in what I should do and prepare for. Thanks!

QMM masters and MFE look somewhat redundant to me. I think you would make yourself a more attractive candidate by concurrently pursuing the CFA certification while you are completing your QMM masters. You would probably be able to achieve this combination faster, would be better rounded (you would have both the quantitative skills AND finance pragmatism), which is certainly a good thing given the forecasted volatility of the finance job market in the next decade.

However if you are dead set on a pure 'quant' job, the CFA would not help much given that it is not very quantitative. But then an M.Sc. or PhD in applied math/physics/comp sci would be a better bet than an MFE... Just my 2 cents.

The reason I'm considering getting a QMM is a starting point to get into finance. My field of study in undergrad was biology. (Sweet right?) After getting into Physical Therapy school, just realized that it wasn't for me. Didn't go and started in a career in IT. I do some programming, but usually just management and stuff.

CFA seems like it might be a good way to do things. I'm thinking of dropping my position and going more towards just studying. I'm thinking of taking out a loan and trying to finish school in 1 year. If that's the case I'm thinking of pursuing the CFA and my masters at the same time.

How's the workload for the CFA? I know the investment isn't too much (Much less than a MFE or MBA) and less labor intensive. Anyhow many help would be much appreciated.

Back