• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Statement of Purpose

Hey Guys:
I'm applying for 2010 MFE/MMF programs in Canada, U of T require an SoP, but I never wrote an SoP before, can anyone give me some suggestions or tips on how to write an SoP for the MMF programs? Or Samples?

Many thanks.

BTW, any applicants here for the U of T or U of W MMF programs next year? Wanna share some info?

Isn't a statement of purpose just explaining why you want to pursue a higher education in a particular field? I'm sure you've thought long and hard why you actually want to get an MFE, especially when there are so many MFE's who can't find work right now. Just collect those reasons into essay format.

I'm still in undergrad, but I plan on applying to U of T's MMF (I'm in Toronto). That's probably the only Canadian program worth applying to - haven't heard much about Waterloo's MQF.

The key point behind a statement of purpose is to ensure that the students they receive are not only academically qualified, but also motivated.

Tell an anecdote about how you got interested in mathematical finance, explain what reading you've done on the subject, and tell them why you think their particular program is awesome (look for something unique about the program, whether it be certain classes or professors, then explain why you want to take these classes/learn from these professors).

A great SoP will not get you into a program you would otherwise have been rejected from, but a bad one will prevent you from getting into a program which you would otherwise have been accepted to.

Back