• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Suggestions for obtaining a summer internship?

Hey guys!
I'm already starting to think about my next summer internship...
So for those of you who don't remember me, I'm currently a senior in high school. I was an intern developer last summer for a commodity information firm, and now am an intern (ugh... Operations :/ ) at Morgan Stanley... Smith Barney.

I'm in the DC area, and I want to go up a notch, even if that means that the internship is unpaid (as opposed to my previous internships.)

I know there are quite a few hedge funds in DC (Carlyle Group, as an example) but how would you recommend for me to even attempt to garner an internship at such a firm? Just cold-call? Should I even bother trying? Or perhaps I should try a different type of firm...

Thoughts? I'd greatly appreciate it!

You are too many years removed from college graduation for this to really matter. Any quant internship worth having on your resume in 4 years isn't going to employ a high schooler. Enjoy your post-graduation summer and prepare yourself for your college program...

A clarificication - I don't necessarily want a quant internship... my long term goal is asset managment.

I don't think cold-calling is going to help you when you are so young. After a few years of university maybe.

Possibility of getting another internship at Morgan Stanley?

Can't really recommend much beyond trying all the big banks and IBs. I remember JPMorgan having a program for younger students.

A clarificication - I don't necessarily want a quant internship... my long term goal is asset managment.
Here is what the internship managers at Goldman Sachs have to say

What are some classic mistakes that interns should avoid?

Being narrow minded in terms of what you want to do. Not everyone can be a trader or a banker and not everyone is suited to it. Be open minded and listen to advisors and mentors.

Ignoring junior members of the team - they are key in the hiring process and can give the most relevant insights into the role and who you should meet.

Not taking up offers of people's time. If someone asks you to join him or her for lunch, you should go. It is a precious opportunity.

Possibility of getting another internship at Morgan Stanley?
I was thinking about this too... but the problem is I'm at Smith Barney. I suppose I could ask my boss, but I can't imagine any direct leads :S At best, it would look good on my resume that I want to stick with the company, and it may slightly help in an interview... but really it isn't much. :/

That being said, surely it must be possible? Who wouldn't want free, competent labor?

EDIT: @Andy... again, it's not that I don't want a quant internship. I would take it in a heartbeat! :) I was merely answering Alex.

That being said... who are these GS internship managers... are they what we call WSEA's? (Wall Street Executives Anonymous)...
Any of them looking for a high school intern haha ;)

EDIT AGAIN: Awwww just off of http://www2.goldmansachs.com/careers/begin/summer-intern-toolkit/index.html
:(
Still, I'll look on there, perhaps some useful information. :)

Hmmm... anyone know anything about the Morgan Stanley Future Leaders High School Internship Program?

You are too many years removed from college graduation for this to really matter. Any quant internship worth having on your resume in 4 years isn't going to employ a high schooler. Enjoy your post-graduation summer and prepare yourself for your college program...
This. (more text added so message is not "too short" to be posted... :P )

If I wanted to not bald at 22, I would of asked what are some fun things to do during the summer.

But I want to persue wealth management.

I believe the expected reward in your relentless pursuit is not commensurate with the amount of time you need to invest -- even if it's just to gain the firm's (fleeting) attention.

You should just focus on getting into a good college now, and then build upon that.

Sigh... well I guess that's no advice :(
I'll keep you folks posted in case I meet Gordon Gecko or someone.

Dude.

It sounds like you're already on the right track. I only had 1 internship during undergrad. That's all it took to land a good job, though.

Now go and have some fun. Make some memories. These will be far more precious to you than an internship at age 12.

So I didn't meet Gordon Gecko. I cold-called a bit and may get/have gotten a couple of interviews, but is anyone here interested in a grunt for the summer (either in the D.C. area or in a remote set-up)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I take that as a no.
Oh well, at least I got good odds for an Equity Research position.

I take that as a no.
Oh well, at least I got good odds for an Equity Research position.

Thats awesome. Go for it. I would make some recommendations but all I know are places where they are looking for MFE and PhDs. Try to lock down the ER position.

Back