• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Technical test at top prop shop

Hello Quantnet,

I got an online technical at one of the top prop shops in Chicago (KCG, DRW, Jane Street, Jump). Its role is Quantitative Researcher.

I'm quite excited about the interview actually because my profile is far from perfect. I do have a few extra industrial awards though.

Any tips on how to prepare. What weighting of performance would you give to the following:

1. Probability brainteasers.
2. Machine Learning methods and theory.
3. Coding and Algorithms.

Thanks
Phil

I'm assuming this is Jump, since KCG is now based on the east coast, Jane Street is in New York, and DRW doesn't have a technical test.

If it's Jump, I would say CS related material is going to be very important, since that's their bread and butter.

I would say
1) Coding and Algorithms
2) Statistics/Linear Algebra/Relevant Mathematics
3) 4) Probability Brainteasers/Game Theoretic Brainteasers
4) Machine Learning Methods (Unless the position posting or your resume mentioned this, I can't imagine that they'll grill you on this.

If it's not Jump, let me know. These shops are all quite different.

I got an email for online test for quantitative research from DRW. Any specific source that will help me prepare?

Thanks!
So how difficult do you think the assessment would be? And it's supposed to be 8 questions in 30 minutes.

For DRW QR role I got 30 mins to solve 4 pretty difficult probability and linear algebra questions. Pen and paper, no coding. This was in late 2018

Oh...Thank you! Hope to do it well...
Yeah mine was like Jan 2020 so might be a little more current but ask around if your in a mfe program of what the test is like in terms of long or short response. Mine where either you get I or you don’t. The green book definitely helped

I got an email for online test for quantitative research from DRW. Any specific source that will help me prepare?
Hey Sahaana
I got an email for OA from DRW
Did you give the test? How was it?

@james_kary and @pvl
I gave the test and it was reasonable I guess...mostly probability and statistics...we need to have some idea about the technicality behind machine learning models and more importantly, how to interpret the results we get on using those models...might give more importance to conditional probability, bayes theorem, markov chain, linear algebra, and atleast basic calculus

@james_kary and @pvl
I gave the test and it was reasonable I guess...mostly probability and statistics...we need to have some idea about the technicality behind machine learning models and more importantly, how to interpret the results we get on using those models...might give more importance to conditional probability, bayes theorem, markov chain, linear algebra, and atleast basic calculus
Is xinfeng zhou enough to cover the exam?

Usually, when do the firms get back after an online assessment has been taken?...Is it right to follow-up after an online assessment?

Hi...For quantitative researcher roles, do they expect us to have knowledge in data structures and algorithms?...If so, which do you think would be the best source to study these from and how exactly might they test us on it?

Hi...For quantitative researcher roles, do they expect us to have knowledge in data structures and algorithms?...If so, which do you think would be the best source to study these from and how exactly might they test us on it?
Yes, in the mscf program we studied many of the sort algorithms and they were asked in many interviews, for many of my colleagues.

Oh, I'm doing the MQF program and they don't specifically teach about data structures or algorithms...so could you tell me which are the most important parts I can focus on so I can start with that?

Back