• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Technology Transition to Quant Finance

I work as an engineer at a major aerospace and defense company. Odds are that if there is some hi-tech field, we have someone in the company doing it, thinking about doing it, or already an expert in it.

Question: What are some of the advanced areas in Science & Technology that have shown promise, but have not yet been fully applied to Quant finance? Or more specifically Algo-trading?

In Algo Trading, the general rule is if you can think of it, at least 10 people already have it working better and faster. It is very very highly doubtful that anyone will truthfully answer your question - in this business if someone has an upper hand or even idea they typically try to keep it a dark secret and make money from it.

I agree what Alexei said. It is highly doubtful that one can come up with unique idea (at least very rare) pursuing for himself alone. In practice it is not applicable but if you are interested in academic work on such issues you can find tons of science areas to be applied in quantitative finance. For example thermodynamic effects on volatility, heat equation transformations(for various modeling goals) from physics...I have come across such papers recently.

you can find tons of science areas to be applied in quantitative finance.....thermodynamic effects on volatility, heat equation transformations(for various modeling goals) from physics

This is pretty much what I was asking about. Not necessarily coming up with new theories or methods, but taking some of the already advanced science from other disciplines and applying it to finance. Additionally, there are plenty of research (academic) type roles within my company.

This is pretty much what I was asking about. Not necessarily coming up with new theories or methods, but taking some of the already advanced science from other disciplines and applying it to finance. Additionally, there are plenty of research (academic) type roles within my company.

What about the above suggestions? That's exactly what I suggested. I can search for some useful papers about the topics I mentioned if you need that kind of help.

Back