• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

The Quintessential Quant

Take these salary figures with a grain of salt. D.E Shaw has been known for obsessing with numbers. Read the comments by a MD at D.E.Shaw at the link for your enjoyment.

The Quintessential Quant
Meet the most wanted man in high finance

James H. Simons, the former math professor who founded the $12 billion quantitative shop Renaissance Technologies Corp., pocketed an estimated $1.5 billion last year. That was thanks to the 5% in fees and nearly 44% of profits that Renaissance docks its investors (vs. traditional hedge funds' typical "2 and 20"). Clients don't complain; Renaissance's leading fund has returned 35%, after fees, since 1989. And D.E. Shaw & Corp., the brainchild of ex-Columbia University computer science professor David E. Shaw, with $23 billion in capital, has netted investors 21% a year for 17 years, without a single losing 12-month stretch.

Landing a job at either of these shops can be insanely lucrative -- and even more insanely competitive. "Using a self-consciously obnoxious term, we're looking for superstars, the kinds of people who would be extraordinarily good at nearly anything," says Nicholas P. Gianakouros, head of global recruiting for New York-based D.E. Shaw.

He is being euphemistic. The handful of quant and programming geniuses who get into the toughest mathematics, physics, and computer science PhD programs on the planet are already best in class. So screening for the 5 or ten very best of that best means establishing a whole new set of prerequisites. "The quant shops are a different animal," says Alison Seanor, vice-president at Glocap Search, a Manhattan hedge-fund recruiter. What is the "it" factor that distinguishes the crème de la crème? All Seanor will say is, "I know it when I see it."

One obvious filter is that liberal arts students -- or even bankers and stock jockeys -- need not apply. What you will need is a nosebleed grade-point average in applied mathematics, physics, or computer science at an elite school like the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, California Institute of Technology, or Indian Institutes of Technology. Many of these students are published and have won high math honors such as the Putnam Fellowship. Often, their names are already so well known in the field that the quant funds make the first approach.

Another must-have: an 800 math SAT score (even if you sat for that exam in your awkward adolescence). Although the funds diplomatically claim the number is "just another data point," it's pretty well understood to be a critical credential.

The quant shops want malleable intellect untainted by Wall Street dogma -- i.e., not "buy, sell, or hold" types. "They're not really looking to make money on corporate events like takeovers," says Emanuel Derman, director of the financial engineering program at Columbia University and head of risk for quant house Prisma Capital Markets. "They're looking to make money on mathematical models." Top funds often advertise in esoteric scientific journals. "You'll not likely find our ads in a dentist's waiting room," says D.E. Shaw's Gianakouros.

If yours is one of the lucky 1% to 3% of résumés to survive an exhaustive initial culling, you can look forward to an hour-long phone interview peppered with thought problems and brain teasers. Pass that test and you will then be summoned as many as three times to undergo up to a dozen grueling interviews. "Every interviewer uses a different approach," says Gianakouros, citing programming problems and math proofs. Expect to be asked to build an intricate Excel model on the spot. Whatever the case, advises Derman, "don't say anything unless you're ready to be quizzed on it."

The firm will then solicit references for areas in which a candidate may appear weak. Ultimately, it takes a consensus among everyone who has met the candidate to extend a coveted offer. D.E. Shaw says that out of every 500 candidates who got the initial callback, only one makes the final cut. Many agree it's even harder to get into secretive Renaissance, which would not comment for this story.

A typical offer, say sources, starts with a base salary of around $250,000, plus a guaranteed annual bonus that could double that. The best can command a cut of a fund's upside -- beaucoup bucks when you consider the multibillion-dollar asset pots. All this, yet, says Seanor, "most of these guys have never even had a real job."
Source The Quintessential Quant

Thanks MikeK
The picture deserves a repost. I will try to look like that in a few years but it's lame to have an Xbox console. i will have PS3 and Blu-ray there instead :)

0634_66compb.gif

When they say 800 score on the math SAT, do they mean before or after the test was recentered in 1995?

I hear you can miss around two problems on the math section and get an 800 after the test was recentered. So 800 may not reflect the perfect score. Sort of like drawing a loose connection to the GRE (94 percentile is 800 on the math).

Put it this way: 790 is not acceptable, regardless the scale. ;)

I beg to differ because I interviewed with DE Shaw and my math SAT taken in 1992 was 740. I believe the 800 score reflects the recenter. Also 1995 is a long time ago, and they probably don't interview many people who took the GMAT before then nowadays. I'm thinking around 740 or higher before 95 is considered 800 nowadays.

Beg all you like; these are never hard-and-fast rules. Perhaps you had something else to recommend you at the time.

All I have to say is this:

Utterly and completely absurdly insane. Those people working for those companies are a testament to the intellectual capability of human beings.

Of course, while Renaissance may be some secretive organization of the most brilliant people on the planet, it has at least one dreadful skeleton in its closet.

Wikipedia up Alexander Ashtachkevich.

I can't even imagine what goes on in those quant shops. How the heck it's humanly possible to even develop such intellectual capabilities is beyond me. These people aren't just your elementary school nerds. They make your generic nerd look like someone in special education.

[Offtopic a bit]
Though I have to say...

I am utterly enamored by the MfA organization that Simons founded. Now there's a man whose charity work actually goes towards building America's future and not just getting thrown all over the world to despicable financial black holes (no pun intended) like Africa where the only thing that's keeping the ecology surviving in that region is the planet's own defensive mechanisms in the diseases that spread through there.
[/Offtopic]

Back