• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Tim Sykes' Cilantro Fund Closing

Tim sent me this email. Thought i would share since Tim will come to Baruch to talk to us soon. He probably follows up on this announcement soon.

Today, it is both with great sadness and joy that I am announcing the closing of my hedge fund, Cilantro Fund Partners, LP and the official release of my debut book An American Hedge Fund. Thanks to the success of my TV show, 'Wall Street Warriors', I've been inundated with questions from people wanting to know more about stock trading and hedge funds. I am sick and tired of how little the general public knows about these subjects. Some of you might not think this is
relevant to you, but you're wrong. Whether you're in finance or not, this is about protecting our right to freedom of speech.

SEC regulations prohibit hedge funds from advertising, talking to the press and detailing our businesses to anybody worth less than $1 million. This has created an environment ripe with manipulation and ignorance, causing trillions of dollars in unnecessary losses. I, along with the rest of the hedge fund industry, have been prohibited from discussing our profession because it is not fit for public consumption. This is absurd. We represent the very definition of American Entrepreneurship and yet we have been forced into silence. Hedge funds have $2 trillion invested, are responsible for nearly 40% of all market activity and yet nobody has any idea as to the inner-workings of this colossal industry. Great sums of money are made and lost every day and yet our inability to pass on our experiences to others prohibits us from learning--this is extremely dangerous.

Wealthy and non-wealthy investors alike should be free to learn about hedge funds and the speculative strategies they employ in order to practice safer and more profitable investing.

No longer will I play by these misguided rules. I should be free to discuss my business, for I am an American entrepreneur. I call this freedom of finance. Freedom of finance is the concept of a hedge fund manager's right to discuss business freely without fear of penalty or censorship. I practice what I preach; An American Hedge Fund is my story.

Perhaps more importantly, my book also aims to get people excited about finance. It's incredibly important to start learning about business and finance at a young age, but due to the boring subject matter, young people instead turn to 'American Idol' and 'America's Next Top Model'. I can definitely relate--all but a few finance books have bored me to tears. So I made sure to not make that mistake and based on over 150 pre-release testimonials, it looks like I've succeeded. Here's a passage from my latest review from Spencer Jakab of the Dow Jones Newswire:

"The tale is "like a Catcher in the Rye for traders" in the words of Aaron C. Brown, an executive at giant hedge fund company AQR Capital Management and an author in his own right of the acclaimed book "The Poker Face of Wall Street." There's certainly a dash of Holden Caulfield to Sykes, but there's at least an equal part Larry Livingston, the trader in Edwin LeFevre's classic "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator." Though nominally fictional and written in the first
person, Livingston's story is a thinly-veiled biography of Jesse Livermore, the "boy plunger" who captivated Wall Street in the early 20th century with his bold, instinctive trading. To round out the package, there's a good bit of James Cramer in Sykes too."

So please check out An American Hedge Fund and let me know what you think. This is just the first of many products my new publishing company, BullShip Press, will be launching over the coming months and years. Yes, that's seriously the name of my new company, it's inspired
by what I think most people on Wall Street are full of and what I'm determined to cut through. So get ready to be educated and entertained.

Back