• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Toronto MMF v.s York Master of Finance

Hi, I may need to choose between MFin (Schulich York) and Toronto MMF. Anyone has any idea on how these two programs are? Is the career prospect of MFin from York good as compared to Toronto MMF? I mean not only the employment rate but also the kind of jobs and employers etc... ?

These are two completely different programs. The MMF is a quantitative finance program (which includes numerous math/stats/programming courses) and is geared towards careers in risk management and financial engineering, whereas the MFin covers a lot of the CFA material and is more geared towards corporate finance or investment banking. Schulich is a well-regarded business school, so while I don't have any information about employment rates, I assume it is a well respected program. However, it is fairly new.

Toronto has a much better international recognition. And what DanM said.

I have a friend study at York and contrary to what most ppl think, the MFin at Schulich has many options including financial engineering, they have a diploma in Financial Engineering which MFin ppl can take courses from and they can choose what they want to do like in Corporate Finance, IB, Quant, Research, Risk management... so I would say the Schulich MFin is quite a broad major, but you must have 2 years of experience to get into that program and they also require GRE or GMAT althought they will waive it if you have passed CFA level I. On the other hand, Toronto MMF is very focus on Quant/programming and you wont get roles in IB or Corp Finance with such degree. Both are highly reputable in Canada

I just don't understand how mmf works... None of the courses has more than 12 lectures...

I just don't understand how mmf works... None of the courses has more than 12 lectures...

I heard most of the courses in mmf are on Pass/Fail basis, I think they did this because the class is very diversed in background, some may have very deep knowledge in Maths but none in business and finance while other may have strong background in Finance but less in depth in Maths/stat. It is unfair if the courses are graded because those who already have the specialization in the field will tend to outperform. However I do not understand how someone with completely no knowledge in finance would be able to start working in this field with only a few weeks of training, perhaps they may have only a very brief understanding and then use the quant skills to solve some predefined problem.. I doubt they would be able to handle equity research which require deep understanding of finance

I heard most of the courses in mmf are on Pass/Fail basis, I think they did this because the class is very diversed in background, some may have very deep knowledge in Maths but none in business and finance while other may have strong background in Finance but less in depth in Maths/stat. It is unfair if the courses are graded because those who already have the specialization in the field will tend to outperform. However I do not understand how someone with completely no knowledge in finance would be able to start working in this field with only a few weeks of training, perhaps they may have only a very brief understanding and then use the quant skills to solve some predefined problem.. I doubt they would be able to handle equity research which require deep understanding of finance

IB hire people from non finance background as their analyst.

That's not what the MMF is intended for. It is not aimed at teaching people how to be equity researchers. It's a quantitative program which trains people to work in quantitative areas of finance.

Back