Transitioning to QR role

Hello!

I am 35 years old, and my goal is to transition from academia to industry, specifically into a quantitative researcher (QR) role.

A bit about my background: In high school, I won a national math Olympiad. I then studied at the top university in Russia, graduating with a degree in mathematics and a perfect GPA of 5.0/5.0. After that, I earned my PhD in mathematics in the U.S. three years ago (during which I also completed a master’s degree with a 4.0/4.0 GPA). Currently, I am a Research Fellow at one of the leading UK universities. I have authored 6-7 publications in top-tier Q1 journals. My research focuses on number theory, additive combinatorics, and fractal geometry.

I plan to work in academia for two more years to qualify for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) and obtain a British passport. After that, I am considering moving to the U.S. once I secure a QR role.

I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any advice or insights about transitioning to a QR position:

1. When I receive my citizenship, I will be 37 years old. Is it feasible to secure a position at a major proprietary trading firm at that age? I believe I may be competing with younger candidates who have recently graduated. Does age play a significant role in hiring decisions?
  2. Based on my background and CV, do you think I am competitive enough for a QR position? I have not completed any internships or industry-related jobs or projects, having focused entirely on academic research throughout my career.
  3. I understand that financial knowledge is important for a QR role, but I am currently not well-versed in this area. How critical is financial expertise, and how can I bridge this gap?
  4. My coding skills could use improvement. I worked on LeetCode for a while but haven’t done much since then. How important are coding skills for QR roles, and what specific areas should I focus on?
  5. Another motivating factor for transitioning to industry is financial. The salary in my current postdoctoral role is quite low, and as a married individual with children, it has been challenging to support my family. Could you provide insights into the typical salary expectations for a QR role?
I would be very grateful for any thoughts or advice. If you need any further information, please feel free to ask. Thank you in advance for your help!

Back