• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE UCB vs MIT

UCB mfe vs MIT mfin for career as Quant Researcher in

• Total voters
Hi all,

I am fortunate to have received offers from both the UCB mfe and MIT mfin programs. However, I have some trouble deciding between the two and would appreciate any insights.

I am looking to work as a quant researcher at a hedge fund, and looking at past statistics it seems that the UCB program caters more to these QR roles and has a higher mean salary (maybe pushed up by a higher % of California-based grads?). However, while MIT has many grads going into non-quant roles, on the surface it seems that those going to QR roles get placed in similar caliber places to UCB. MIT provides a detailed breakdown of employers, but I couldn't find anything as detailed for UCB.

I appreciate neither program is a surefire way to get QR roles in top-tier hedge funds, but I would like to know which program would provide the best odds of landing a QR job at a top hedge fund.

(aside: I have a 30k scholarship for MIT, so both cost roughly the same overall and not a deciding factor for me)

Thank you very much!

Can't make a wrong decision here imo. If you are sure you want QR I'd go to Berkeley, if you wanted to maintain a bit of optionality re: what area of finance you'd like to go into then maybe lean MIT.

Also this is less of a factor since you can always apply anywhere after you graduate, but just by the numbers these programs are going to be placing a large number of people in firms that are geographically close to them - so worth it to consider if you want to be in the bay or in Boston

congrats!

Can't make a wrong decision here imo. If you are sure you want QR I'd go to Berkeley, if you wanted to maintain a bit of optionality re: what area of finance you'd like to go into then maybe lean MIT.

Also this is less of a factor since you can always apply anywhere after you graduate, but just by the numbers these programs are going to be placing a large number of people in firms that are geographically close to them - so worth it to consider if you want to be in the bay or in Boston

congrats!
Thanks for the reply! Yep I’m fairly certain I want to go down the QR route so Berkeley is the way I’m leaning right now. I’m not too sure where I’d want to be working geographically rn so I can’t really use that to inform my decision.

Thanks again

Congrats. You're in a good position to choose between those programs. Take your time to research before selecting one. Despite the sample data of job profiles you found, they are more different than similar. You will decide where you end up, and the program will need to provide sufficient resources to get you there.
UCB MFE is currently without an executive director. I don't know how much this will affect the program, but the former director, Linda, was known to be involved with her student's placements.
If you feel generous, do post your timelines on the Tracker. It helps our members a lot.

Congrats. You're in a good position to choose between those programs. Take your time to research before selecting one. Despite the sample data of job profiles you found, they are more different than similar. You will decide where you end up, and the program will need to provide sufficient resources to get you there.
UCB MFE is currently without an executive director. I don't know how much this will affect the program, but the former director, Linda, was known to be involved with her student's placements.
If you feel generous, do post your timelines on the Tracker. It helps our members a lot.
Ah I see - thank you! Will add to the tracker.

Back