• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UChicago FinMaths vs Cambridge part III Mathematics

UChicago vs Cambridge for quants prospects Hello, I am an international student and gave two offer form these universities. My goal is to work in financial sector, specially as quants. And find a job and stay in the country, since I need visa for both these countries Which one would be more beneficial for my goals and which give more possibility to get visa working?

Some cons for UChicago:
- obtaining USA visa is much harder than UK one’s, which is basically a lottery , so if I end up not getting one , it would be a waste of time and money. Since , I am not sure how desirable are international FinMath students from UChicago. Whereas UK gives you 2 years graduate visa
- program is kind only field related, so people might thinking that i did it only for the becoming quant purposes.
- Not the best/prestigious program according to quant net ranking and probably not a very selective / competitive program as well

Some cons for Cambridge:
- One of the most reputable maths programs so I think program is harder there, covering many maths fields , but they do not give programming and the are only few financial maths related modules. But planning to take advanced probability, stochastic, advanced financial models and stochastic on biology which is relevant. But not that broad as in Chicago
- Chicago and USA is much more Interesting than UK for me
- If I end up getting job, pay in USA is much better.
- I like the structure that I can take courses even from Chicago business school, which Cambridge does not allow.

I am also considering the option to go to Cambridge for a year and apply for Fin Maths related programs at top universities like Princeton, MIT, Columbia, Stanford. But no sure is Cambridge name will boost my CV, bonito sure if Part III is known for the admission office.

If it were me, I would pick Cambridge part 3 over any financial engineering/math/ etc program. If you are able to succeed in the program, I think it will be a strong enough signal that you can compete for spots in highly regarded companies, regardless of your finance background. Most employers look for smart people first and foremost, everything else is secondary

If it were me, I would pick Cambridge part 3 over any financial engineering/math/ etc program. If you are able to succeed in the program, I think it will be a strong enough signal that you can compete for spots in highly regarded companies, regardless of your finance background. Most employers look for smart people first and foremost, everything else is secondary
Thank you for your reply
My ultimate Goal is USA , and would apply to the top fin maths program (MIT , Princeton) after Cambridge. I would have an OPT and then if lucky will have H1B lottery win. Cambridge -> Top fin maths programs USA -> settle in the USA, how realistic is it ?

Back